Skip to main content

This Discolored Shore

16 January 2017--The Beaches of Normandy

The rain-slicked parking lot spread before the tour group as we disembarked. Signs in English (first) and French (second) urged visitors to treat the place as hallowed and sacred. We sloshed toward the entrance of the museum, shoulders hunched against the cold, and looked at the low-slung building. It was modern, sharp, and in some ways sterile, but it housed the museum and entrance to the cemetery itself.

Gayle and I made our way through security and then walked downstairs. A short film clip speaking about some of the soldiers who died during the fighting rolled. We sat and listened, their names fading almost immediately. One man, however, was 32 when he left the British coast, gone to help heal the wounded. He died there, not far from where we sat, learning his story, and watching photos of him playing with his children flickered on the screen.

I'm 33.

Tears began to surface as the import of the place continued to swell within me. I swallowed them down and resumed my feet. While the museum was interesting--complete with a year-by-year, and even hour-by-hour explanation of what happened to make Operation: Overlord come to pass--I wasn't really there for the exhibit. I was there for memory's sake.

As we walked out, a spartan hallway greeted us. From an overhead speaker came a solemn voice, a recording, reading aloud every fallen soldier's name. We didn't pause, because we weren't listening for any specific person, but I've thought about it since then. If it only takes one second to read each name, then it would take almost 3 hours to read the entire list.

Then it repeats. All day. Every day. It is in this way that we use our technology to remember those we could never know, but acknowledge the sacrifice and who was lost.

Before exiting, there was a BAR (the rifle the GIs would use), its bayonete affixed, placed in the ground, muzzle downward. A helmet rested on the stock of the rifle. The display was behind glass--an homage to the only grave marker that some men will ever have--those whose names could never be read by a solemn voice through a speaker in a spartan hallway.

Outside, the drizzle continued, light and unencumbering. Though colder than that day in June, the sky was skull-gray, the sun unwilling to shine through. To our right, the English Channel crashed morosely against the cliffs, the tomb of hundreds as restless as it has ever been through the course of human history. To our left, meticulously cared-for lawns and pathways guided us toward a bluff from which we could see over much of Omaha beach. I could only imagine the water down there, a frothing red then but an unremarkable tan now.

We turned from the bluff and headed into the cemetery itself. The marble crosses, punctuated with the egalitarian hand of death with Stars of David, marched in true military fashion, row-by-row, and in formation. Over nine thousand bodies lay beneath our feet. Many were named; some were not.

I was struck at the silence of the grounds, knowing that 73 years before, it was one of the loudest places on the planet. The bombs, the bullets, the bayonets--all biting and tearing, all shrieking amid the screams of despair and death--had all fallen as silent and still as the graves that grew, poppy-like, from the fertile ground beneath our feet. I thought of the bravery of the men who leaped into that inferno, who drowned or died before firing a shot, who poured their lives into the sands of a foreign shore, their mother's name on their lips as they slipped beyond this mortal coil. The words of many of the crosses--too many--said HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY A COMRADE IN ARMS KNOWN BUT TO GOD.

I thought of my sons, and how I would feel if they were buried there. If I had to pick one of those nameless crosses and share it with hundreds of other grieving families, a sociability of mourning.

Then my heart cracked and I wept silently, the sky's soft drops echoing my own.

I composed myself but poorly and walked through, using the feebleness of imagination to craft the cords of empathy between the present and the life-forming past. The sadness there was similar to Sachsenhausen, but different. I felt some hope there. I do not think that it's because one was filled with victims and one was filled with warriors--I believe I visited victims in Normandy, too. But the hope was that, despite the flaws of America, I stood in a place where we, as a country, sought to do good. I struggle to say their sacrifice was "worth it", but there was a sense of redemption in that cemetery I had not felt in the other places of bloodshed I've seen.

I had, before we left for Europe, shared with my students a quote from Shakespeare. It was written 350 years before the war, and its context is different than what I read here, but I find it remarkable. Here's the full passage:

The gaudy, blabbing and remorseful day
Is crept into the bosom of the sea;
And now loud-howling wolves arouse the jades
That drag the tragic melancholy night;
Who, with their drowsy, slow and flagging wings,
Clip dead men's graves and from their misty jaws
Breathe foul contagious darkness in the air.
Therefore bring forth the soldiers of our prize;
For, whilst our pinnace anchors in the Downs,
Here shall they make their ransom on the sand,
Or with their blood stain this discolour'd shore.

Those last two lines I read aloud to Gayle, my voice ragged and breath uneasy. "Here shall they make their ransom on the sand,/ Or with their blood stain this discolour'd shore." So many of them made their ransom, surviving to tell...and remember. But many others stained the discolored shore, their bodies blanketed by waves to "go to graves like beds", known but to God.

These men died some 39 years before Gayle and I were born. They gifted a world lifted from oppression out of duty and hope and maybe even some naivete. I am a religious person, but I don't know of a time I more deeply hoped that my faith would be rewarded than while standing on that spot. I know the crosses were not meant to indicate the actual religion of the one buried--and though there were 149 Stars of David, we're certain more of the men there were Jewish than their dog-tags claimed--but I have a hope for a universal resurrection, when the myriad graves might unfold and the treasures we lost in the hideousness of war could return to those who loved them best.

I worry that too often, it is the fact that it was American lives, American sacrifice, American deaths that makes us remember the wars. And though there is value to that, I have to remember that the sadness I feel at that sacred site is applicable to all the soldiers who served their country. I may have cared more because they were Americans, too, but I weep for the dead. If a world can be at war, then a world can mourn. And, perhaps, it can one day be at peace, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow