Skip to main content

A Walk In The Park

Flicking through Twitter, I saw this thread from a paleontologist I follow named Brian Switek. I met him a year and a half ago whilst teaching a Winterim class about dinosaurs. He guided us through the National History Museum of Utah in Salt Lake City and even took us through the special collections that's normally not shown to the public. At his offering, one of the students licked a coprolite in order to verify that it was, indeed, a fossil.*

Anyway, Switek's a cool guy and a good author (his My Beloved Brontosaurus is a great, lay-person friendly read. I have two copies), plus he's a dinosaur fanatic (obviously), so there's a lot of common ground there. His short tweetstorm reminded me about my own first exposure to Jurassic Park, inspiring me to write this essay.

Summer of 1993

Like most boys, I grew up fascinated by dinosaurs. I have dim, dim memories of going downstairs to a library--probably in Provo, Utah--to pick out a book. I couldn't read at the time, but there was one I loved more than others. It was a story about a Brontosaurus that was attacked. There was one picture that particularly caught my eye, in which the Brontosaurus bled beneath the predator's claws. I was fascinated by the blood and decided I would always check out that book whenever I got the chance.

That happened about two times.

My mom eventually bought me a book called Brontosaurus, which I loved dearly and reread often--once I learned how to read, of course. This book and a couple of other encyclopedia-style dinosaur tomes were my primary sources for anything about the ancient animals.

I loved the neon yellow stripe. I figured these suckers glowed in the dark. (Source)

This had too many words for me, and not enough pictures, but I still liked it. (Source)
But dinosaurs never became an obsession with me until I heard about Steven Spielberg's newest movie, coming out in the summer of 1993. In some ways, I feel, one's tenth summer is really the first summer. By then, most people have a good friend to play with, the ability to ride a bike, and just enough autonomy to shout out, "I'm going to [FILL IN FRIEND'S NAME HERE]'s house. Bye!" as the door shuts without it being a huge problem. I don't remember much of my summers before '93, but part of the reason I remember that year so well is because of the movies I got to see.

Did you ever see Last Action Hero? The action movie send up of action movies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger? Yeah, that competed against Jurassic Park in June 1993, which is possibly why you haven't heard of that film. Anyway, Last Action Hero was fun; my dad took me and my two brothers to see it, during which time my little brother puked all over the theater. My dad left me and my older brother at the movie while he took the little one home, cleaned him up, then came back for us. Didn't want to waste the tickets, I guess. So I have vivid memories of Last Action Hero.

Then I got the chance to see Jurassic Park. I was riveted. The fact that Timmy was a little younger than me but also with mouse-brown hair and an older sibling who liked computers only pulled me into the story more (representation matters). What person wasn't enthralled by the original T. rex attack scene? Who wasn't impressed by the never-before-seen special effects that the movie boasted? Who wasn't a little put off by Ian Malcolm's weird laugh in the helicopter?

Best part of the movie.
My friend, Steve, and I were enamored of this new film. "It's by a guy named Steven Spielberg," we said to each other in the matter-of-fact tone that is inherent to ten year olds. "Of course it's going to be good." We talked about it all of the time. Another friend, Chris, had Velociraptor toys and a making-of book about the movie, complete with stills and concept art. I would steal glances of it whenever I could. We also played the Jurassic Park: The Video Game for SEGA Genesis, though, to be really frank, the game sucked. Hard. But we had it anyway, because sometimes we could get the stupid raptor to jump the right way.

My dad, who has never been a big reader (it skipped a generation from my dad's side; my paternal grandfather was a prodigious reader, as is my mother), picked up a copy of Crichton's novel when he had a flight he had to make. He brought a copy home, which meant that, coupled with the copy that my uncle had bought for my brother, we had two Jurassic Park books in my house.

I remember when I first started reading it. I was eating a sandwich and Cheetos--prepared by my mother--while picturing a Costa Rican (whatever that was) beach. A little girl is attacked by small, bird-like reptiles. The man mauled by a raptor is treated in a clinic where he vomits blood and dies. Stuff that wasn't in the movie was in the book, but that was okay because what I was reading was amazing.

I often think of Jurassic Park when I eat Cheetos, even to this day, and can still picture the orange thumbprint I put on one of the pages I turned with dirty fingers.

I read the entirety of Jurassic Park over a weekend. Then I would take it to school, keeping it in the pocket of my coat so that I could read it whenever I wanted to. The stuff about control (some of my favorite parts, now, as an adult) were boring, and I sometimes skipped those chapters, but on the whole I loved that book. 

What I find interesting is how Jurassic Park was a watershed for many of my age and generation. There was something special, unique, and powerful about this monster movie. I have some ideas about why that may be, but they're for another time. Suffice to say that, like many millions of others, my walk through the Jurassic Park has changed me. And that, I think, is the purpose of quality fiction.



----
* It sounds kind of weird, but fossils stick to your tongue. So if you're not sure if it's a rock or a fossil, just lick it.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow