Skip to main content

Not David

I finished listening to Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. He came recommended--a former student told me some years ago I should make it a point to read his stuff. I knew it was a compilation of essays, and there's a funny story about an interview with Sedaris in the fantastic film Bad Writing (which I won't share here so that you can watch the movie and find out for yourself), so I kind of knew he was a good writer.

The man's great.

But I'm kind of unsure what to think about his work in general. I still have Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls on my reading queue, so I think I'll put him back on, but...I don't know. There's something about his topics that kind of got to me.

Here's the weird thing: His writing is top notch. The "David Sedaris" character is charming, a little naive, and a lot of fun to hear his wry observations and excellent points. And, since I listened to the audiobook, read by the author, it gave an even more intimate understanding of what he was talking about. The first essay of the book, "Go Carolina", is significantly more engaging when you're listening to the author, in his own voice, talk about the problems he had with his voice when he was younger.

But there were a couple of hangups I had about it, and I've been trying to understand why. There's a bit of jealousy thrown in there--his essays were significantly more interesting than mine ever are, and though he tackles topics of a more mundane variety, he does it with much more panache, wordplay, and consideration than I ever bother. So, yeah, I kind of hate him on principle.

More importantly, though, he details a couple of things about his life that didn't sit quite right with me. I guess it shows in my upbringing that the too-long-by-far section "Twelve Moments in the Life of an Artist" really got under my skin. I don't enjoy stories about drug use or drug culture. It's something that I struggle to understand. Drugs are bad* and I don't want to read stories about their use. I suffered through the only Philip K. Dick novel I've ever read, A Scanner Darkly, as well as much of Brave New World, all the while mightily disliking the whole thing. I may be for a decriminalization of pot, but I'm not for a mainstream acceptance of hard drugs. I could only handle about three episodes of Breaking Bad--lauded as one of the best written shows in television history--before it was too much. (Some of you may be like, "Wait, three episodes in and you thought that was too much? Pffsh. Yeah, good thing you didn't watch any more." To which I say, "Yeah, that's my point.")

So listening to the author talk about his bizarre speed trips with performance art was really much too strange for me to enjoy. (That he's gay and talks about that aspect of his life doesn't bother me at all, which is strange since I'm blaming my upbringing for the anti-drug sentiment that I harbor so tightly.)

The other problem? Some of the essays were read live. I listen to my audiobooks at 1.6x the normal speed--just fast enough to get through a book at a better rate, but not so fast that it starts feeling like Alvin and his chipmunk brothers are joining in. When the live essays were read (some of which, I believe, aren't in the book), the audience seemed primed to laugh at almost every period. Now, Sedaris is a funny guy, but he knows that not every sentence is a punchline. Jokes need to be set up. Timing is important. But the audience, which laughed at 1.6x the normal speed, pounced on every gag, chortling to themselves in an unnatural cadence that set my teeth on edge. Sedaris had to wait for the joke to land before he could go on, so his reading was a little less polished in the live stuff than the studio readings, and that became an irritation, too.

But, as I pointed out above, I'm not as good as David Sedaris. My writing doesn't have the snap, polish, or wit that his essays seemed to exude. I did learn a few tricks--particularly with the way he culled his memories to make the quasi-autobiographical approach of a lot of the essays feel familiar, even if you don't know anything about him or his family--and I hope to improve my writing to be as quality, though not the same quality, as Sedaris.

At this point, though? I'm pretty far from being David.


----
* I know that there are a lot of different benefits to drug use, but even setting legalities aside, they seem pretty heinous. I think it's a matter of disassociation from reality that drug use of any sort implies to me that I bristle at. I'm sure there's a hypocrisy somewhere in my belief, but it's there as a general rule.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow