Skip to main content

Nephic Test

I wonder if Nephi did the wrong thing by killing Laban.

Okay, so if you're familiar with the story from the Book of Mormon, you can skip to the next part. If you're unfamiliar, here's the quick version, taken from 1 Nephi chapters 3 and 4: A prophet, Lehi, told his son, Nephi, to go with his brothers and retrieve a genealogy from a man in Jerusalem named Laban. (Lots of proper nouns, I know. Bear with me.) Laban is a bit of a dirt bag and, after Nephi and his brothers try to reason with him, he steals their money and tries to kill them. A little later, Nephi sneaks into Jerusalem at night, and finds Laban, drunk and asleep.
And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless I went forth, and as I came near unto the house of Laban I beheld a man, and he had fallen to the earth before me, for he was drunken with wine. And when I came to him I found that it was Laban. And I beheld his sword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of pure gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel. And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him. And the Spirit said unto me again: Behold the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands. Yea, and I also knew that he had sought to take away mine own life; yea, and he would not hearken unto the commandments of the Lord; and he also had taken away our property. And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands; Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief. (emphases mine)
I know that's a lengthy quote, but it establishes the whole logic of the event. Nephi, a young prophet, has his chance to accomplish his goal, but only through the shedding of blood. The Spirit of the Lord tells Nephi to kill. A couple of verses later, Nephi strikes off Laban's head, steals the corpse's clothes, and impersonates the dead man. This allows him to trick the servants of Laban into giving him the plates of brass (where his genealogy and other scriptures are kept), which he takes back to his father, Lehi, as requested.

This is one of many images I found about 1 Nephi 4. Interestingly, most of them have Laban's cape, blood red, pouring over the ground, almost as if to say he were already dead. (Source)

The Nephic Test

In the Old Testament, Abraham is asked to sacrifice Isaac (Genesis 22). This story, more familiar to a mainstream audience than the one sketched above, has a happy ending. In verse 14, it says, "And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son." In other words, the request of God to Abraham to sacrifice Isaac was merely a test. Abraham was willing to "go all the way", as it were, and was stopped. 

Truman G. Madsen once asked Hugh B. Brown:
Why was Abraham commanded to go up on that mountain (traditionally Mount Moriah in Jerusalem) and offer as a sacrifice his only hope for the promised posterity? President Brown wisely replied, "Abraham needed to learn something about Abraham."
The Abrahamic test was to go up the mountain and be willing to kill. He passed the test and managed to keep his son--as Madsen points out, the "promised posterity" and the focus of all Abraham's hopes.

The question, then, I have about Nephi is whether or not he failed the test, that he did the wrong thing.

As I quoted above, the Spirit told Nephi to kill--much like Abraham. But unlike Abraham, Nephi goes forward with the murder. The rationalization is surprising to me. Here, again, are his four arguments for killing a defenseless drunk:

  1.  Behold the Lord hath delivered him into [my] hands. 
  2. Yea, and I also knew that he had sought to take away mine own life; 
  3. yea, and he would not hearken unto the commandments of the Lord; 
  4. and he also had taken away our property.
According to the last moment before Nephi kills, the Spirit says, "It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief." If it's right for Nephi to kill in the name of God, the three subsequent rationalizations are immaterial. (It also raises the question of if God commands what is right, or what is right is what God commands, but I'm going to set that aside for now.) God's desire for a dead Laban wouldn't need any thoughts from Nephi, which are what points two through four are--his thoughts, not the words of the Spirit. 

There's something that bothers me here, and a lot of it is the idea of a prophet violating the seventh commandment, as though there's an asterisk to it. I suppose that you could claim that God can change the rules as He sees fit, but that certainly doesn't jive with the idea that God "is the same yesterday, and today, and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). 

And that leads to other questions. Suppose Nephi were of a stronger moral disposition. What if he were to say, "I will not shed the blood of another man. I forgive him his trespasses against me" and didn't pick up the sword? What if he were like Joshua, who was told by an angel to let him go, but refused, saying, "I will not let thee go, except thou bless me" (Genesis 32: 26)? 

What if he were more like a different Book of Mormon prophet, the brother of Jared? This man was told everything to do in order to prepare special barges for his people, but was not told how to illuminate the passageway. As described in Ether chapters 2 and 3, the brother of Jared is given a problem and uses his own ingenuity and faith to solve the problem. He discovered an alternative on his own. 

What if he were more like his descendants, the people of Limhi, who escape from bondage by getting their guards drunk and then slipping into the night (Mosiah 22)? 

What if he were more like the pacifistic Anti-Nehi-Lehies who preferred death over taking up their weapons and killing their brethren (Alma 24)?

God's abilities to make his plans come to pass can't be frustrated by men (see Doctrine and Covenants 3:1), so Nephi saying, "No, I won't kill. There must be another way" wouldn't mean that Nephi's people would have been without the brass plates or that the Book of Mormon would never have been created. To assume that puts those in the past into a category of historical determinism that's at odds with Mormon doctrine of universal agency. 

So did Nephi do the wrong thing?

Let me put it this way: Can we sin our way into heaven? 

It should be clear that I disagree with Nephi's action. I find it problematic (to say the least), but I also find it instructive. Too often, those who have authority--whether it's political or religious--are not expected to live up to the most fundamental and basic human morals. History is replete with examples, but there's a pernicious tendency within my own culture of putting Church leaders into such positions of infallibility and demigodhood that even when they make mistakes, they aren't seen as mistakes (e.g. Blacks in the priesthood), but effects of the times, or any other rationalization. Not everything that a prophet utters is prophetic, and not every action is one done through the fatalistic, simply because that person is a prophet. Heck, just look at Jonah.

In the way God always can, though, there's still something to learn. Despite Nephi's mistake, God still uses the boy--imperfect and a failure--to accomplish great things. Nephi laments in the famous "psalm" of 2 Nephi 4 about his weaknesses, his trials, and his sins. Though God may have forgiven Nephi for not killing in the name of God, Nephi, perhaps, still laments his own weakness in not finding another way. 

I take a different lesson from the Nephic test: Not that we should always obey God, no matter what, but that God is always willing to use imperfect people to do His work. 

Indeed, that's all He has to work with. 

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow