Skip to main content

Lord Steven Dowdle

To whom it may concern,

I am, officially, a lord.

There is a micronation called Sealand that's located a handful of miles off the eastern coast of the UK where a small family has declared sovereignty. Though there are some legal quibbles--enough to make it "depends on how you look at it" whether or not it's a real micronation--it manages to keep itself afloat (pun!) on its abandoned WWII-era, water-based fortress by selling off titles of nobility, pieces of land, and even jerseys for their football team.*

Yes, I want a jersey of the Principality of Sealand. I'm a lord of Sealand, after all. I ought to support my team. (I don't know if I have the $60 to buy the jersey, though. I'm not a rich lord.)

Anyway, being the anglophile that I am, I confessed to one of my classes a while ago (I can't even remember when...probably during the unit on Pride and Prejudice) that I wanted to be a sir or a lord, and that Sealand was basically my only chance. One of my students, it turns out, is already a lady of Sealand, and knew exactly what I was talking about.

Well, I'm now at the end of the year with these kids. The last day of class before finals (this past Thursday), I was leaving one classroom to travel to my other room. One of the students in 7th period said that he was supposed to stall me.

"What?" I asked, packing up my stuff and heading toward the hallway.

"I'm supposed to stall you."

"What, like keep me from going to class?"

"Yeah," he said, a sheepish smile on his face.

"Well, that won't work. See? I'm walking down the hall." I headed toward the other side of the school (which is larger than the Principality of Sealand), ignoring the student's attempt to stall me. What for? I figured they were setting something up--possibly a prank, or maybe they had a celebratory end-of-year cake they wanted to share and needed some extra moments to set up.

When I entered my class, all of the students were lined up, creating a tunnel of kids, heading toward my swivel chair. They were grinning and laughing at my confusion and surprise. The discombobulation evaporated when I saw the aforementioned student who was a Sealand lady holding a certificate. The kids had purchased for me my very own title of lordship.

The students ushered me to my seat, then, with ceremony including a plastic Wonder Woman sword to dub me lord, they put a plastic crown on my head, handed me the certificate, and applauded as they fired small confetti containers into the air.

It was one of the best moments in school that I've ever had.

Since the kids are still high school students, I had to crop them out. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them, even if I can't name them on my blog!
I'm signing all of the end of year documents as "Lord Dowdle", as well as my emails. My wife is genuinely jealous of my new title, insisting that she should be considered "Lady Dowdle" because she is married to a lord. (I don't think that's how it works for Sealand titles, since that's sort of a buy one, get one free deal.)

Later that same day, someone knocked on the classroom door. I put on my crown, grabbed my sword, and opened it just a crack. A student was looking for a different teacher, but I think I freaked her out a little answering the door that way. I shut the door on her and continued teaching, because that's the kind of guy I am.

 At first I was worried, however: The ethics laws of Utah forbid teachers from accepting gifts that have a value of more than $50, and depending on which package deal they purchased, I would have to actually reject the gift. After doing a little research, however, it's clear that not only did they not spend more than $50, four students in particular had chipped in to buy it, thus spreading around the costs. That made me feel a lot better, because the alternative would be really sad.

I deeply appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift. Students have given me many things throughout the years--gift cards, foods and treats, plants, dinosaur toys, books, and other memorabilia from our time together. It's always appreciated, if only because teaching is a job unlike any other, and feeling as though the work done is recognized or valuable can sometimes be fleeting. I've very much enjoyed this year, and I am no realizing that I fell into the trap of thinking that every year is essentially the same. I forgot to relish the fleeting time I had with this particular crop of kids, not realizing that I had a special group.

That I'm now a lord is only one small indication of how special they are. I always hope, at the end of the school year, that I can teach them something that sticks, something that matters to them. This year, in a way I hadn't anticipated and failed to fully appreciate at the time, they reciprocated the lesson.

I'm grateful for that.

Sincerely,

Lord Steven Dowdle


----
* It should be noted that Sealand is 0.0015 square miles, or about 42,000 square feet, which isn't enough space for a soccer field, which is closer to 64,000 square feet. Doesn't keep them from having a team, though.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow