Skip to main content

Two Households

At the eager age of 21, I married my high school sweetheart. We had known each other since we were 17, she had waited whilst I served a mission in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and was willing and happy and hoping to get married when I returned home.

Because I took a two-year hiatus to my education, I was behind her in studies. She graduated a couple of semesters after we wedded, taking a job at a school in the Jordan School District while I rounded out my final year or two of coursework. She had a miscarriage in the summer of 2006, and our first born child came two days before I graduated as part of the class of 2007.

Throughout the entirety of our time together as a married couple, we've both worked. In fact, I've never financially supported her. We've worked together to make sure we had enough money, and though I've occasionally earned more than she, it's always been the case that Gayle has provided for the family. Soon after the birth of our first child, I was unemployed--but she carried us until I found something. When I changed jobs, she was providing that support and stability. Then I changed jobs again. It wasn't until July 2008 that I found my place in the world, in a little charter school built in a renovated bowling alley. I've been working there ever since, now a week away from completing my ninth year. In short, we have done a lot together--some we've accomplished separately, but together, we've done the increasingly impossible: Forged a working marriage with both partners in the labor force.

This has not come without sacrifice and assistance. Our mothers both enjoy their grandchildren, and their lifestyles have given them the chance to be the daycare for our three boys. This is a temporary experience for everyone, though it's seemed interminable. Soon enough, our youngest will be in school full time, and "Grandma Daycare" will no longer be needed. Nevertheless, for the entirety of my children's lives thus far, their grandmothers have loomed large.

The decisions that we've made that have put us here have been ad hoc, for the most part. There's a reason the saying, "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." When we set out, we never planned on a miscarriage. We didn't expect a heart baby. We never thought that Gayle would make a career out of her teaching, including opportunities to travel all over the country, attending conferences and trainings, awards and banquets because of her worth as an educator. We didn't think that I would be seeing my 34th birthday pass without so much as a secondary glance at any of what I'd written. We never thought that it would be like this, is what I'm saying.

But that isn't a complaint. It's an observation. The life we've landed in has been one that's a natural outgrowth of decisions and choices--some within our control, most without it--and has been, for the most part, an enjoyable and pleasant life.

Having the imagination that I do, however, I'm always left to wonder. I can't really conceive of a life without my boys or not married to Gayle. I don't wish to explore what that would be now. But I'll always wonder about what I would have become. I'm sure there are other timelines where I'd be dead by my own hand, or perhaps successful but without some of what I currently consider crucial to who I am. Maybe there's a Homeless Steve in some continuum, or a Smart Steve, or a non-Mormon Steve, or a Singer Steve. It's impossible to know, but tantalizing to think about. What could I have done had I not fallen in love with Gayle? Surely many of the alternative Steves would be as incapable of living without their joys. The possibilities of what I could have been are in no way an aspersion toward what I am--and I think any alternate universe would find me in a similar sense of satisfaction.

But what household could I have had? Would both be alike in dignity? I'm pretty sure that every alternate Steve still loves Shakespeare, though. How could I be any other way?

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow