Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye

Why do I feel like I'm dying?

The end of any school year is difficult. There are grades to turn in (late), awards to hand out, yearbooks to sign. And, of course, commencement.

I enjoy commencement exercises. I sometimes listen to commencement speeches online. I'm not even graduating, I just like the inspirational thoughts that the speaker drops on a very inattentive (or, if you're Mike Pence, non-attending) audience. I've been in school, in one form or another, for approximately twenty-six years. It's my career and my passion, and I learn in order to teach better. So learning from the wisdom of the speakers--gaining motivation and inspiration from them--is a natural part of not only the end of the year, but of how I try to become better.

So why do I feel like I'm dying?

At our school, we have an annual tradition in which the faculty challenges the students' quidditch team. I coach the team all year long so that we're ready for this finale. (For the record, we won today, 140 to 110.) We do this for a couple of reasons, but one of them is to give the entire student body something to do outside (watch or participate in the game) while the yearbook check out procedures get set up. That means that the game is high stakes and there are hundreds of people watching. It's a tradition going back six years, now.

Today was the last time I expect we'll do it. Due to personal circumstances, my own worry and fear of another catastrophic injury happening to one of my students, as happened a few years ago, and a general decline of interest in the sport at the school, I decided that I couldn't continue coaching the program. Saying goodbye to my defeated students, thanking them for their sacrifice, their work, their sportsmanship proved harder to do than I anticipated. Some of them knew it was coming--I'd been gesturing that direction for some time now--but it was still hard, I think, to see the sport that they were coming to love go away.

For me, this has been a secondary heartache. I've talked about the sport before, how it's an unexpected thing in my life, but I don't know how to handle it. That ignorance led me to stop playing with my friends in Salt Lake, only occasionally heading out to a practice or two whenever I had the time. But I was happy to still have quidditch in my life via playing with students at the school. (Heck, I was even interviewed by the Guardian once to talk about quidditch, talking up its power in kids' lives and how much fun it is. So I know that it's important to have something that people like and want to be a part of.)

And now I've walked away from that, too.

Maybe that's why I feel like I'm dying.

I'm not a crying-emotional kind of guy. There are some things that will get the waterworks flowing, but I don't usually sit down and cry too often. Walking off the pitch for what is, so far as I can see, the last time, has me struggling.

Part of it is that I feel like I'm letting some of the students down. In fact, I know I'm letting some of the students down. One player wrote on a piece of paper that doubled as my yearbook, "In my life teachers have filled the role of parents so it's really rough when I lose a good one."

The end of the year requires saying goodbye. Always to the senior class, of course, but there are other departures. Friends who've worked with me for a few months or maybe a few years, seeking out to find another place to fit in, changing and choosing their lives. Students who won't be coming back because of sundry reasons.

This idea of saying goodbye makes me scared. I don't know how to say goodbye to a job I love. Everything I've done before this school ended...um...poorly. Walking out with hardly any previous notice, it feels like I burned every bridge I was supposed to maintain in the career world. I can't see myself leaving my school, yet I will...someday. How am I supposed to say goodbye?

I think there's a part of me that's dying.

I'm a couple hours away from being at my school's tenth annual commencement ceremony. The school year has come to an official, resounding close. I'm ending my time as a department chair. I've said farewell to many of my students, either from the class or from the school. It's coming to that temporary end that punctuates the year right in the middle of it. Things will be similar next year, but also not, the strange paradox of existence that makes it painful and something we never want to lose.

Saying goodbye to another school year is perennially bittersweet, and my greatest worry is that I won't be able--for whatever reason--to ever truly bid farewell to this place. I don't know how to leave a job gracefully, to say nothing of a career.

Again, I don't think I'm leaving my job. I've signed a contract, I'm planning a new course. There's nothing that would indicate that it's over for me. But how can you picture the final chapter of your own life? Am I going to be here, faded notes from students, scrawled in their juvenile penmanship still pinned to my walls, surrounded by the familiar gray walls, twenty years from now? Am I to be the permanent fixture here, a living statue of a time beyond the memory of any of the students who pass through my class? How will I know that I've stopped mattering?

Today, I have to say goodbye, as I have done the last nine years. In a way, I guess that's a bit why I feel like I'm dying.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow