Skip to main content

Hard Work

I recognize that a teacher writing an essay about hard work whilst on summer vacation is potentially fraught with some hypocrisy, but there are a couple of counterpoints to consider: 1) The nature of the job is nine months in the classroom, three months out; but that doesn't mean I'm not working; 2) While this essay was written during the summer break, it can be read at any time, so its point can be derived without worrying about inconsistency.

Work is Hard

Peeking behind the curtain, here's what goes into a lesson when I'm at the helm:
  • Choosing the material to be discussed
  • Deriving a conversation about the topic
  • Creating an activity (sometimes) about the material
  • Finding additional resources to explain the topic
  • Ensuring there's enough stuff to fill 100 minutes of class
  • Build enough in the class to feel like we've made progress, yet leave enough on the table to pick up the next day
If it sounds vague, it's because it has to be. There's enough variety within the dual cores I teach (history and Language Arts) that I can't have the class be too rigid. Similarly, without a fairly solid structure, the class will fall apart. (I've taught some classes where I don't follow this as strictly, and they are harder to manage, less fulfilling, and accomplish less. As a teacher, I have to learn my lessons, too.) Striking that balance is something that, I believe, good teachers do. When it's going well, students don't notice the balancing act--much like audience members, when pulled into a good play, don't notice the lighting cues, the blocking, or the thought "How did they memorize all those lines?" 

But all of this isn't easy. Well, I suppose a definition of the word would help: I think when we consider what "hard" work is, it's that which requires attention, effort, and energy. Sometimes that's a physical effort--a laborious job, say--and sometimes that energy is intellectual or emotional. That's usually the kind of thing that I find happening when I'm working with my students. It's easy in that we are discussing things about which I've learned a lot. Were I to have a conversation about the calculus and how to use it, that would be hard--but only because of my ignorance. So teaching one's subject is easy in that the content is not the challenge; it's the teaching that's hard.

I think, because teaching requires so much of the teacher, a lot of educators have given into the lowest-common denominator concept, with their own level of effort being that denominator. I know teachers who pass all of their students with A's because they don't want to talk to parents at Parent/Teacher Conferences and they know that if the kid's getting a good grade, they won't have to see anyone. On the other hand, I know of some teachers who burn themselves out because they're putting in significantly more effort than their students. The lack of student reciprocity can be disheartening and embittering. 

So when we say "hard" work, it isn't the same as construction working, coding, or administering health care. It's about people--volatile people (and teenagers are the most volatile things on the planet, second only to toddlers who need a nap)--and that constant need for improvisation and structure, of justice and mercy, is a taxing need. 

Preparation is 9/10ths of the Law

Okay, I'll be honest, that heading doesn't make sense to me, but it's talking about preparation and that's an important aspect of this. I know a lot about a very few things, but those things are all that my classroom discusses. Obviously, Shakespeare and Milton and Dante are big, important aspects of the first part of my year, but so are the World Wars, writing, and a bunch of other things. One of the reasons that summer is so enjoyable and helpful as a teacher is that I get to sleep in. This lets me wake up at a more natural time, feel more energized, and gives me opportunities to think and write better (I hope) and practice the craft that I'm supposed to turn around and teach students.

See, I spend a lot of time during the summer writing and reading--two of the most important parts of my curriculum--both of which take up a lot of time. I read during the school year, of course, but it's almost always the stuff that I'm teaching in the class (even though I've read it all before). During the summer is where I can expand my interests and see what else out there will help in the classroom. Reading a horror novel is teaching me a lot about how to write, how to structure a narrative, how to share the right details. Writing these essays is helping me to remember how to organize thoughts on the fly, to refresh my own writing style, and thereby find ways of transmitting it to my students.

The summer break provides a dual purpose: To rejuvenate the learners (both teachers and students) and to give the teacher a chance to refill the passion reservoir. The rest that summer provides (rest from the familiar routine; this summer hasn't been particularly "restful" because we've done so much, but it's different than our other nine months, so that's okay) becomes the bedrock off of which excitement and desire to share what was learned is built. See, I feel anxious to get to my job almost every day. I'm happy to see the students, I'm excited to discuss whatever the topic is (except for the Age of Exploration; hate that time period). But there's more to the world than what I teach, and I use the summer to help find those pieces that will help my teaching in the future.

Hard Work is Rewarding

Because of our agricultural-turned-traditional learning schedule, it's likely we'll be stuck with summer vacations for the foreseeable future. While there are some negative parts of taking a three-month sabbatical (the loss of retention is a major flaw to this system), I think that there ought to be a wider-spread adoption of a larger chunk of time off. 

I said to a friend once, "I don't see how you can handle working through the summer. Your schedule has no punctuation marks; it glides from week to week and month to month with nothing to look forward to. It's all one."

He responded, "But going back after summer is something I don't envy you."

Well, fair enough. But remember, I love teaching. The first two or three days are rough, but not to the point of wanting summer back. Once I'm in it, it's full-speed ahead, because the hardness of the work is where the reward comes from. I have had times when I couldn't sleep the night before a particular lesson because I was too excited to talk about Milton or Shakespeare. Does that happen to you in your job? If not, why not? And if so, is there a way to infuse more of that particular thing into your work?

See, I think America ought to slow down. Our obsession with money is over-the-border fetishized, and that obsession is leading us to believe that work is all there is. If our country slowed down--had more than a holiday, but maybe a holiweek or holimonth (it could be in July, when it's too hot to want to do anything anyway), we'd be better served. And, yeah, there are logistic problems--police and fire and health care would need to have "off vacations" so that there wouldn't be anarchy--but as a whole, taking a protracted break from work helps immensely. 

I can only teach as I do because I have that time in which I can rest as hard as I work.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both