Skip to main content

Teamwork

Our school has always had a "mentoring" period that ended up being, at best, a glorified home room. This year, we're having a shift in the mentoring program that's making me excited. I'm looking at the act of creativity--using imagination and skill to craft something new.

As a basis, I'm considering the way in which Blizzard Entertainment (specifically) and video games and movies (generally) use collaboration and joint-contribution to a single vision. This vision is of a world in which all the students are building it up in some way. It's the act of world building--which I've done by myself for years--writ large.

I'm excited because this is an opportunity to become more familiar with others' ideas, to have the spark of mutual ideas stirring and generating fresh concepts. Of all the parts of making a video game, that type of creative problem solving has always intrigued me. A decade ago, I took a classroom of kids up to a local video game studio and toured the premises. There, in one of the board rooms, the walls bedecked from ceiling to floor with whiteboards, was where they mapped out the concept of the level, the purpose of each component of the puzzle, and ways in which they would direct and guide the player to the correct conclusion.

I asked the designer what degree he thought would be most beneficial for a student to pursue if they wanted to get into video games. Though the answer is different now, then he said, "I need creative writers. They know how to solve problems and tell stories in exciting ways."

That's what I'm hoping to do with this new class. Because we'll be meeting weekly, and only for about 45 minutes, we won't get sick of the work (a problem I've seen in similar classes where the time is more compressed), and we'll always have something to do (I hope). If I get this to work correctly, we'll manage to create a fictional world that could never have existed otherwise. Because it's collaborative, each student will be bringing unique points of view, experience, and enthusiasm to each part. Having never been a part of that has me anxious and anticipating the class, which will start this Friday.

There are concerns, of course. I'm dealing with teenagers, and the possibility of having feelings hurt, tensions because of miscommunication, or any other high school-related drama is likely. This is part of what I'm paid to do, so it's not as if I'm going in blind on this sort of a thing, but it's still a touch worrisome. I'm willing to admit that there are a lot of things that I don't know about--blind spots that I can't anticipate--but that's part of what is so exciting: I'm blazing into new territory for myself and my students.

In the end, I'm hopeful that the students will learn as much about cooperation, compromise, and teamwork as they do about creativity, editing, and imagination. Not too bad for 45 minutes a week...

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both