Skip to main content

Wet Desert

Nestled in the foothills of Provo, beneath the gleaming white Y that's painted on the face of the mountain, a water park gurgles thirstily to itself. This is Seven Peaks Water Park, a place that I have been going to, almost every summer, since I was I don't know how old (the old park, Raging Waters, falling out of favor). Now that I have children of my own, a modest budget, and ample summer time, we decided to visit Seven Peaks and swim around for a few hours this morning.

As we pulled in, my boys--who were rather excited about the day's activity--wondered aloud about the parking situation. "Pay When You Leave?" asked my seven year old, reading the sign in the parking lot. "What does that mean?"

"Instead of paying right now, we'll pay on our way out," I said.

"How much does it cost?" he said (I imagine; this is partially paraphrased).

"Seven dollars."

"Wow! That's a lot!"

"Yup."

I guess there's some tidy symbolism in having a place called "Seven Peaks" cost "seven dollars" to park, but it's probably not that profound. We went in--no outside food allowed, we learned, necessitating a quick trip back to the car to drop off the cooler full of snacks--and swam in some of the attractions.

What was more noticeable--above and beyond the quantities of bikinis and the unimaginative varieties in men's swimwear--was how few attractions were running. One body slide, a couple of tube-required slides, a kiddie pool, and a wave pool. Before we left, the Lazy River attraction opened up, but it was too cold to float in for more than a lap.

We passed the late morning pleasantly enough, and the boys enjoyed what they were given. However, as we drifted along the Lazy River, my oldest asked why so many of the attractions were closed. I knew what he meant: An entire section of the park was roped off, most of the multi-story slides were, too. Water features, like waterfalls, were turned off. "It's all to save money," I explained. "We have a Pass of All Passes, which gives us free admission to the park. They stay open simply by people buying food from the concessions. That isn't enough to maintain the entire park."

My son was unimpressed. Of course, we got home from Disneyland only a couple weeks ago, so there's definitely a "spared no expense" expectation that we had accustomed ourselves to during the worship of the Mouse in Anaheim.

Then, in the wave pool, I looked up at the drought-laden mountains, yellow in their desperation for a drink. (I see similarly parched hills outside of my office window, as I write this.) Surrounding me, lapping in a pale imitation of an actual ocean (again, spoiled by our time in California), the wave pool contained tens of thousands of gallons of water, its exclusive use being to make us think we were back on the beach. In other words, we were surrounded by excess--and not simple excess, but extravagant excess. I don't believe for a minute that the mountain would be green if Seven Peaks closed down, because it was the distillation of capitalism all around me that really made me think.

Now, I don't normally rant about the problems with capitalism--I'm trying to be less pessimistic--and if you think that capitalism is, I dunno, God-given and therefore unassailable, you may wish to stop reading here. For me, there really is a symbolism in Seven Peaks as I've described it. Not only is the necessity changed from necessity into commodity into entertainment (water into chlorinated water into a park where you pay to play in the modified water), but it's within sight of deprivation of the very necessity that has been commodified. Drought without, excess and waste within.

And yet, within the excess, there were still signs of malaise--the closed attractions, the dull-eyed, underpaid employees (no Disney smiles plastered on their faces here, no sir). Entire segments of the excess were dismissed, abandoned, their worth not fundamental enough for the bottom line to ensure their continued use. Capitalism at its sense, at its core, at its most extreme, its most seeming-natural.

I sat in this pool, surrounded by other people, enjoying the benefits of the park, and stared at the dying mountain.

There's something about being wet in a desert that really makes me think.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both