Skip to main content

Summer 2017

Having just returned from a week-long vacation to southern Utah, I feel like I ought to make some sort of note about what happened whilst away. After all, I had a fantastic experience in California and I wrote about that. But I'm hesitant to do so, for two reasons.

Number One

I was saddened by the fact that, of the four plays I saw at the Utah Shakespeare Festival this year, I only saw two written by the Bard himself. Both of those were...not the best I've seen. By a long stretch, actually. The two non-Shakespeare plays, Shakespeare in Love and the gut-busting Shakespeare's Long Lost First Play (Abridged) were superlative. The former was what you get in the film, minus the full-fledged nudity, with a bit more development of Kit Marlowe as a character that paid off well at the end. The latter was a love letter to Shakespeare in the most irreverent way possible, doing a mashup of "early drafts" of all his plays and characters, ending the first act with a water-gun fight against the unarmed audience, and ending the play itself with a deus ex machina of William Shakespeare himself. It was crude, fast-paced, and hilarious. There was even one joke that only I got (judging by the reaction of the crowd), so that was fun, too.

Sadly, while I enjoyed Romeo and Juliet and As You Like It (particularly the latter play, as I got to sit next to my son, dressed in Elizabethan-era costumes, for his first evening play in the Englestad Theater), the plays themselves were plagued by sparse sets, too much "stand and deliver" speeches, and three-hour play times. While I don't necessarily mind sitting through three hours of Shakespeare, those other two detriments were sad. Part of the joy of going to a Utah Shakespeare Festival is that one gets to see the creativity and talent of the set designers and crews as they transform the same space, day by day, night by night, as they rotate through different plays. While minimalist sets and interpretations have their place, the entirety of the trip was minimalist in that sense. (When, during the second half of As You Like It, some small changes were added to the set to mimic the Forest of Arden, the change felt disproportionate.) Having a slight misstep like that at the end of my summer is saddening.

Number Two

Today is the day of Charlottesville, Virginia's protest/counterprotest mob. The details, of course, will continue to unfold as the day goes on and the understanding of what happened becomes clearer. Why it happened, however, is not unclear at all, and its subtexts, arguments, causes, and motivations are patent. 

I returned home from Europe on the day of the president's inauguration, and I don't know if I've had a day since that hasn't had a twinge of worry go through my guts. I'm almost finished with It, and I haven't found it particularly scary. Grotesque, perverse on occasion, and somewhat bizarre from place to place, but never scary. The descriptions of the killer clown, Pennywise, don't trigger long-buried anxiety in me. The different forms It takes don't make it hard to sleep at night. I've turned to horror fiction, perhaps in part, because I get genuine fear when I look at the news. A glance at the headlines does more to rob me of sleep at night than does the so-called "Master of Horror". 

The thing that really hurts me is knowing how many of my neighbors, family members, coworkers, and friends either voted for him, or failed to vote against him, valuing their minute values against the greater value of not voting for fascism. I took it for granted that America had learned a lesson from the Second World War, and coming to grips with me assuming that has been the hardest part of this entire thing. 

Summer Bummer

So the summer is over. We did some great things as a family: We explored Saint George, seeing the dinosaur tracks museum, getting lost in the wilderness for a little bit, swimming, attending a children's museum (twice, the boys loved it so much), watching a bunch of plays, dressing up, and generally generating fantastic memories as a family. And yet, overshadowing it all, is not just the chaos of America's position in the world, but the knowledge that many I know have abetted the problems...it's making my bizarre worldview of personal pessimism (things will probably not work out for me) and general optimism (things will probably be okay) tremble. Of all the transcendental signifiers that I've had challenged in my life, this one is the core that I never thought I'd see shaken.

Yet here we are.

---
This is a footnote without anchor, which feels apt, to a certain degree. I want to say that I began this essay deliberately using an apophasis, which ended up becoming quite protracted by the end. If you noticed, I think that's pretty cool. If not, that's okay, too. 

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both