Skip to main content

Returning to Redwall

I'm clawing through my memories, trying to remember the books that I loved as a kid. See, my two older boys love listening to audiobooks (whilst reading along) when we're in the car. It's a great pacifier, too--they don't argue or fight or wiggle too much, because the books keep them occupied and focused. Plus they help them improve their reading, and it gives me something to do whilst driving. Since the daily commute equates to about an hour a day, that's pretty good.

Though there are more Pern books, I kind of don't want to revisit McCaffery's special planet again for a while. The emotional ending of All the Weyrs of Pern is so perfect I'd rather let it rest for a while, as I mentioned before. Being "done" with the series for the nonce, we scoured the library for the better part of an hour, trying to find the next set of books to read/listen to. I managed to score a digital audio copy of Redwall, by Brian Jacques. Frustratingly, there weren't any hard copies. Nevertheless, we started listening to the book anyway, and it's transporting me back...again.

I am a fairly obsessive kid: While I don't read broadly, I do read deeply. There are a handful of books that comprised my childhood, and I read all I could in that vein. Redwall, Dragonriders of Pern, The Prydain Chronicles, and Spider-Man books were my primary diet. I remember reading other books (The Cay didn't impress me, but I liked The Island of Blue Dolphins and I loved Maniac Magee), but in terms of series, they're pretty much what I listed above. Harry Potter wasn't a thing until I was in middle school, and I was too cool to read it (I finished the first novel early in my marriage, back in 2005).

So I'm trying to remember and find books that the boys will enjoy that don't have too much "content". I've heard some things about the Michael Vey series, and I know my oldest enjoyed some of the Percy Jackson stories, so we may try those at some point. I'd better put together a list, since the commute isn't going to be changing anytime soon, and I have to keep this kids entertained.

Anyway, we've only listened to about an hour of the book so far, but already I'm remembering the many different events and adventures of the Redwall series. I remember writing my own fanfiction whilst mowing the lawn--that is, I would turn on music on my Discman, stomp about the yard, and write in my head my own stories in the Redwall universe--and how many stuffed animals I bought that would be represented in the books. I still have a stuffed otter toy (which my boys found and were playing with today after having listened to the book) and other companions that populated the foot of my bed.

It's fun to see my children enjoying and exploring these to-me-familiar worlds, knowing that there are great lessons to learn, adventures to be had, and imaginings to relish. I hope these books help make them into better people--that's what I always hope for the literature I read.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both