Skip to main content

Bess and Shax

Touchstones are important in my life. I find things that interest me, and then I explore them way past levels that are healthy or normal. I talked a bit about my obsessions before--well, this is how I get them. Something comes my way and I start to understand it on deeper levels.

Music is a quick example. My buddy, many years ago, tried to get me to listen to Rx Bandits. I didn't really give them a try until after my mission. It was the same sort of synergy between souls as what I get with Gayle. Their music resonates deeply, (almost) always perfectly with how I think of music, what I appreciate in it, why I think it matters. Since they became my new favorite band (replacing Dave Matthews Band as my longest musical love), I have attended almost every concert that they've brought to Salt Lake, enduring their obvious dislike of the venues and attitudes of the crowds. I'm willing to set aside their prickliness because their music is what my soul sounds like.

As a result, I have spent hours learning how to play some of my favorite songs on the guitar. I think a lot of people learn to play the guitar for social reasons. They're ubiquitous, and it's an easy way to break the ice--snatch up a six-string, strum some familiar chords, maybe even bust into a version of a cool-but-over-played cover, and bam, you're socially involved. That was never the case for me. I never learned the guitar for other people. It was always for me and what I found fulfilling.

The same goes, but to much larger degree, with Shakespeare. I originally felt an obligation to like Shakespeare because I was into books and reading. I eventually fell in love with him (summer of 2006) by virtue of a superb version of Hamlet down at the Utah Shakespeare Festival. Since then, he's been a perpetual part of me. I estimate that I have read, listened to, or watched Hamlet almost sixty times in the last decade, and the play still yields treasures to me. It's a sun of profundity, spilling light into the darkness of humanity without exhausting itself.

As my obsession with Shakespeare grew, it turned into wanting to know more about the time in which he lived. I purchased a book on English history only because it connected with Shakespeare's history plays. Almost every history book I pick up--and even science books--is flipped to the index before I'm too deep into it to see if it mentions the Bard. Despite knowing I'm teaching poorly, I can't help myself when I teach Hamlet: I have to talk about what's inside of me that the text exposes. Shakespeare is an immense swirl of energy to me, and every time I try to broaden my orbit, it's only to find that which provided Shakespeare his gravity.

Such is the case of the current book I'm listening to by Alison Weir, The Life of Elizabeth I. I have been on it for almost a month--probably longer--picking away whenever I get a few minutes. It is only tangentially related to Shakespeare, as the playwright bumped into Her Majesty only a handful of times, and those were not terribly important to Old Bess--so they have little pertinence to the book. Nevertheless, I'm thrilling at the entire experience: Not only is the reader British, so I've been listening to a British accent for hours, but it's filled with all sorts of fascinating tidbits that explain Elizabethan life, why the world was the way it was for Shakespeare, and adding details about things that I had always heard about but never fully understood.

And as much as I enjoy British history--imperialists though they are--flows from the fountain of my Bardolatry. It's an intoxicating thing for me to explore; I'm like Gertrude in Hamlet, who is described as in her adoration of her husband "As if increase of appetite had grown/ By what it fed on" (1.2). I haven't hit my saturation point yet--and I hope that I never do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both