Skip to main content

Location, Location

Apparently, one of the aphorisms of real estate is "Location, location, location." It's said as a truism, so I'm guessing it has all sorts of exceptions that those in the business could point out to me, but as I'm willing to recite it at face value, we'll go with the basic idea--except for writing.

One of the things that makes for a larger, more lasting impression in some fiction is where it takes place.* Here's a quick and dirty list, right off the top of my head: Spider-Man doesn't work in the rural south (he needs skyscrapers); Aquaman free of the ocean loses some of his prestige; Luke Skywalker sans the Death Star isn't much of a Luke; The Lord of the Rings in a place other than Middle Earth fails on a lot of levels; the gladiatorial fighting of Panem makes less sense in almost any other setting.

But there's something to be said for writing where the location is so fully realized and integral to the story that it feels like it's a character. Two titles: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and the Harry Potter series. Two locations: The river and Hogwarts.

Huck Finn without the river isn't the character we know and love. The growth that Huck has throughout the story comes because of the river, which acts as a mentor, a revelator, a guide, and a vehicle. The river acts as forward momentum for the plot and the characters floating down it. This is not accidental: Mark Twain's intimate knowledge of the river infuses his writing, giving the river a sense of personality. It isn't anthropomorphized (like in a lot of Ray Bradbury's works), but instead transcends the need for a thing to look like a human in order for us to care about it.

This same feeling is amplified in Rowling's Hogwarts. Especially for those who are rereading the series, it takes far too long for Harry to arrive at Hogwarts in The Philosopher's Stone. And though there are exciting things to look at and pieces of the Muggle world to consider in every volume, The Goblet of Fire can drag because our return to Hogwarts is delayed through all the plot setup. And don't get me started on Deathly Hallows.

Hogwarts is the thing that every person who enjoys the series wishes were real. Harry is fine, if a little vacuous; Hermione is wonderful and spunky; Ron is Ron; and everyone has their special favorites (I have a soft spot for Snape, which I should write about some other time). But it's hard to find anyone who isn't enamored of the creaky old castle in Scotland. That kind of texture and tangibility, that specific location, is--so far as I can see--the biggest reason that people return to the books again and again. The Boy Who Lived is fine, but it's Hogwarts that matters so deeply.

When it comes to my own writing, the closest I've arrived to that is creating a place called Pandra, which is a strange dream world where a human girl gets lost while trying to get home. It's a fun(-ish) place, but it's lacking some of the heart and warmth of the castle. Without treading in the same footsteps as Rowling, it is hard to generate the same feeling in my own writing.

Nevertheless, the location is important to many stories, and I should spend as much time on my locales as I do the rest of my stories.



----
* I say some because there are many examples that counter my point. Much of Shakespeare, for example, relies more on characters than locales, though The Tempest shows that isn't always the case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both