Skip to main content

Effing Flaws

Lately, I've noticed myself becoming crasser. My entire life, I avoided using stronger epithets than crap or, when I was knee-deep in mission slang, I would throw around shiz because it was scriptural and that was a thing we did. But I never said "real" swear words through my first thirty-two years of solar orbit. As of late, however, I've noticed my frustrations boiling over in the form of frothy word vomit that's muttered under my breath. I don't even swear loudly enough for it to be cathartic, which certainly raises the question of whether or not it's worth doing.

But the point of today's writing isn't to chat about the fundamental absurdity of swearing--despite the fact it has an august and robust history--and instead thinking about why it bothers me that I'm swearing more. Or, rather, to poke at the concept of why I've started swearing in the first place.

It comes from, I believe, a couple of things. One is certainly a greater ubiquity. I don't seek out vulgarities, but a lot of the content I read and listen to has it in there. Hypocritically, I find it tiresome to hear swearing bandied about endlessly. The frequency of profanity, paradoxically, decreases its potency. At least, that's the theory--that you build up a tolerance for it. The desensitization of the mind to profanity is real, which means that its continued use becomes less and less worthwhile, yet at the same time, it's seen more and more.

I'm certainly not going to be so shallow, however, as to claim that my own change in vocabulary grows out of the media I consume. The blame game can go on and on (yes, that was a pun/allusion if you followed the link), so eventually it comes down to the choices that I make. And one of the things that I have always tried to do--to my righteousness or ruin, I cannot say--is be exact. I can be an entrenched stickler for something (don't get me started on why I think grammar is important) when I set my mind to it, and "clean" language was one of those things that I resolved a long time ago to keep.

Lately, however, the overwhelming pressure of my life choices has cracked my resolve. Like ice underfoot, I can feel spiderwebs of slippage fingering outward. I struggle to keep patient with my children, to maintain a cool head when driving in my car, of remaining polite and thoughtful when students say dumb things (and, boy, do they say dumb things). I find my physical exhaustion wanes as my self-diagnosed depression waxes--always an inverse corollary--and I send so many of my mental resources to maintaining balance that when something slips through the cracks (note to self: You still haven't set up the piano mover appointment like you were supposed to...three weeks ago) it dominoes in unexpected ways.

So when I finally get frustrated (freakin' computer--guaranteed to set me off) at something small and inconsequential, out comes the swears.* Some people claim that swearing helps cut down on pain, but I haven't found much catharsis. It's just a problem that I have--a flaw I'm working to fix.

F*ckin' flaws.


---
* For some reason, I feel like I have to contextualize this and mention that it's the "small swears" that usually come out. I don't use the "big swears"; the cracks aren't deep enough...yet

Comments

Andrea said…
Lol. Welcome to the club, my friend. You're well on your way to becoming a sailor! cursing is just a way of life, like paying taxes. ;)
In all seriousness though, I understand your frustration with using more swear words because it bothers me too sometimes. I still curse a lot but sometimes the context of the words slip from facetious and funny to being truly vile and loaded with hate. I really want to try and eliminate instances that fall into that second category.

Sheron Drake said…
😂I honestly did not know I was swearing until my preteen years! My parents used s^++, d*€>, he## as frequently as any other common words. They are so ingrained in my head I don't realize they are slipping out. I even try different languages. It's frustrating because I really want to be good! Sometimes it just fits. I'm doing better than I used to, but it happens to the best of us...

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both