Skip to main content

Women in the Workforce

As a cis-het white guy, I have the privilege of being able to grouse about a system that favors me while reaping the benefits of the same system. It's a nice little benefit--one that has really only helped me. It wasn't until I was in college that I started to see how much of my life is smoothed over by virtue of my gender, race, and sexual orientation. It really makes my complaints about things that bother me seem petty.

One thing, however, that bothers me to no end is sexism manifested in my workplace. I'm not talking about the top-down approach, such as hiring practices or the administration as they make teaching assignments. If there's sexism there, it's so subtle that I can't see it.

No, I'm tired of the societal sexism that impacts female teachers. Not only is my wife an educator, but a great many of my coworkers are, too. The problem is pretty obvious: Students and parents treat female teachers as surrogate mothers and, therefore, expect them to be nurturing, accommodating, and sweet. Any teacher who isn't that way runs the risk of being maligned and hated by students and/or undermined by parents. 

Some examples, which are anecdotes* (rather than evidence) that may help illustrate my point:
  1. While in the faculty room, a coworker asked if I had problems with one kid. I shook my head, saying that I didn't usually have any problems. He turned in his work, participated in class--all the usual stuff. "He's horrible," my coworker confided. "He's disrespectful, never turns in his work, and dismissive of me as a teacher." She then went on to describe his behavior. I told her that, were he to try such stuff in my class, I would take certain steps. Assuring me that she had done the same thing--but to no avail--made me wonder what could be the difference. In all honesty, aside from the topics we taught, there was no tangible difference between our classes...except our genders.
  2. One of the students that I taught when my wife was on maternity leave--a student she had taught and then, when I did long-term subbing for her, I got to teach, too--rarely gave me grief. He was sometimes a pill, but most 8th graders are. For my wife, however, he was perpetually arrogant and disrespectful, ignoring what she had to say and generally being a horrible student. My wife, of course, knew her content area even better than I, yet I--the untrained substitute--had fewer problems than my much more capable (in most everything) wife.
  3. When asked by a female coworker about what to do with a particular behavioral problem, my recommendation was met with an "I don't think I can get away with that" response. It didn't take long to realize that what she was worried about was the fact that, as a female teacher, a response like the one I gave would burn bridges she wouldn't want burned. Upon digging into the issue, it became clear that, from her experience, a female teacher wouldn't be able to exert the same sort of social pressures as a male teacher could.
I feel that the problem is obvious: Social norms and expectations are heavy, drawn along gendered lines, and have an adverse effect on my workplace. Students are damaged by this type of sexism, as it sends conflicting messages about the appropriate role of women in the workforce (namely, that a woman at work still must be a mother; that a woman's attitude must somehow be different than a man's, even if that's not the best solution** for the situation; that a woman is expected to coddle, rather than discipline).

I worry that some people think that women in the workforce is fundamentally wrong. I don't think there's really any validity to that opinion, but even if I were to take that at face value, I would contend that, due to the fact that women are in the workforce, we should look at the consequence of a perpetuation of sexist stereotypes. Women are in the classroom--they're my coworkers and friends. And because the societal pressures for women to behave a certain way because they are women prevent them from doing their job to the best they are able, we have a substantial, deeply rooted problem to weed out.

---
* I know that these examples are lacking on details. I don't feel comfortable sharing too much information, as the point isn't to try to malign students or expose families. Obviously, I'm being anonymous, but I still feel like sketches rather than portraits are appropriate here.

** I'm not trying to say that my solutions are the best solutions; instead, I'm trying to say that the possibility of using different strategies is locked out because of gender expectations.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very insightful. Hopefully I haven't done this to any teachers.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both