Skip to main content

Nerd Culture

Oh, if only the mid '80s could see us now! Truly, we are in the era of the supremacy of the nerds.

I'd like to thank Spider-Man and Sam Raimi for this moment.

It's probably partially true, actually, that the current strength of geekdom can be determined (in part) by the success of Spider-Man in 2002. Peter Jackson's version of The Lord of the Rings, which released in '01, '02, and '03 also played a crucial part. In a lot of ways, the zeitgeist rests on films and what preoccupies us as people. Whether or not my thesis is complete, it's true that those five films (including the second Spider-Man film) and minor hits like the X-Men movies all contributed to a groundswell of interest in the "geek" things of life. It's now hip to be a nerd.

Of course, this is a generalization. But having finished Day One of Salt Lake Comic Con--and looking forward to another couple days this weekend--it's clear that there's a large, enjoyable bubble of geek-themed pandering. I, for one, am happy to be a part of it.

I'm not a good enough capitalist to view the success of nerd culture as being indicated via economic relevance. The peril is that lucrative becomes tantamount to worthwhile, and though I'll happily play the Machiavel and claim that correlation when in a pinch, I find the argument empty. Yes, economic sustainability is necessary for geek culture to move forward--if the content creators can't afford to create content, then that's a problem--but there's a temptation to argue with dollar bills as to why things like Comic Con or the next Avengers movies "matter". They don't matter because they make billions of dollars--they matter because people like them.

Michael Bay's bloated spectacle-orgies Transformers have grossed nearly $4 billion dollars, met with critical derision, and have been seen by millions of people. The general consensus (for non-target demographic of 10 year old boys) is that these films are shiny schlock, hardly worth the energy it takes to watch them. Yet they continue to be made.* A similar, though now mostly dead franchise, would have to be the Twilight series, which spawned too much stuff to talk about. The point is, the consuming public doesn't pay for things that are good, they pay for things that they like. But the difference between quality and ubiquity is at the heart of what's going on for me within nerd culture.

I've always liked dragons, fantasy, roleplaying- and video games, anime, comic books, and action-filled movies. That's part of who I am. The fact that I can now enjoy that with so many other people is wonderful and delightful. To have, as it were, cultural cachet because of my interests is a refreshing change from what I saw in the world as a teenager. Back then, Hot Topic was the only place you could buy a Mario Bros. anything. Now, you can pick up a keychain with the fat plumber from a gas station. This ubiquity is fun, temporary, and ought to only underscore the fact that its popularity isn't where its value comes from. Finding satisfaction, enjoyment, and combined delight is what things like Comic Con are about. The fact that it provides funds for content creators is an added bonus that helps perpetuate it--but dwelling on the financial aspect of nerd culture is like mistaking the wheels of the car for the car itself: Crucial, but not definitional.

---
* At the time I wrote this, this was the description on IMDB for the fifth Transformers installment:


I find that description fitting for basically all the Transformers movies, and I even liked a couple of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both