Skip to main content

Feedback

I am part of a writers' group. We've been meeting, fairly regularly, for over nine years. The members have shifted, unsurprisingly, as friends have moved away. Three of the original members are still around, with one who joined really early in the process sticking around, too. We've rotated from an apartment close to the mutual workplace (back when we knew each other just because of the place where we worked) to another house to another then another, and continuing onward for the better part of a decade.

We've counted before: I think we've hit almost thirty novels, in one form or another. Some are complete; most are drafts that were abandoned via those aforementioned moves and/or lack of interest on the part of the writer. We meet Thursday nights for a couple of hours, using the group time as group therapy and forging friendships while also improving our writing. It's cathartic and enjoyable and one of the supports in my life that helps beat back my depression and gives me some non-work related adult interaction.

The hard part about it is the feedback--not so much what I get, as my friends are good at being positive and providing worthwhile comments, but instead what I deliver. As I've become a better (?) teacher, slowly improving how I teach my students, I've developed allergies to certain types of writing. There's a bit (read: way too much) of pride that comes in when one spends a lot of time studying something, and writing is something that I study. I write a lot--more now than at any other time of my life*--and I still read books, articles, and tweets about improving my craft, increasing my productivity, and enhancing my skills.

So when it comes to my group, I feel like I approach it from a place of expertise. And there actually is some there. I studied English in college, I teach writing on a couple of different levels. I know stuff. But the downside to that is I can't shake the feeling of...imposed superiority? That's not the right phrase, but the feeling is complicated. I don't mean to come off sounding as though I know better on any one thing, especially because all of the writers, to one level or another, has been involved in wordsmithing for a long time.

This makes the giving of feedback difficult. This is compounded by the fact that I have 40 or so papers that I have to grade, now that it's the end of the term. Whenever I have to grade that many papers, it bleeds into my group feedback, and I find myself being more terse and blunt--using my teacher voice, essentially--rather than being more supportive and diplomatic. I can get away with curtness to students, since they are learning how to write and don't know when to bend the rules. It's not the right approach for adults who know a great deal about writing.

So there's my confession. I love being a part of my group and I hope that the feedback I give them is appropriate and helpful. And I hope they don't think I'm a jerk.



---
* I try not to think where my writing would be if I had improved my discipline, say, three years ago? How many double-digit views would my writing have if that were the case?

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both