Skip to main content

Guilt and Shame

There are differences between guilt and shame. I like what Dr. Burgo outlines in the linked article. Since I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, both of those concepts are something that is not only discussed, but even preached, particularly about guilt. For example, Elder David A. Bednar, in a General Conference address, said a variation of what I've heard in one form or another throughout my life: "Guilt is to our spirit what pain is to our body—a warning of danger and a protection from additional damage."

These two definitions aren't seamless. The doctor's point of view is that it is what we fear about others--their feelings, their lives, their thoughts toward us--and the harm we cause them that triggers the feeling of guilt. For the theologian, it is an internal thing, one about personal choices that aren't kosher. If Dr. Burgo's distinction were applied, Elder Bednar here is talking about shame.

In line with Dr. Burgo's argument that "core shame reflects early psychological damage that impedes growth; the capacity to feel guilt depends upon that psychological growth and could be seen as emotional progress", there is such a thing as "toxic shame". This is discussed, of all places, in a Spider-Man essay anthology I purchased shortly after my first son was born, now almost 10 years ago. In Webslinger: Unauthorized Essays on Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Joseph McCabe makes a case for "toxic shame", which he argues is manifested in the Sam Raimi films but not so much in the first decade of Stan Lee's exploration of the character.

He defines toxic shame this way, citing John Bradshaw: "the all-pervasive sense that one is flawed and defective as a human being...it is like internal bleeding" (107). Along with his likely agreement with Dr. Burgo's delineation between shame and guilt, McCabe argues that the film Spider-Man/Peter Parker is dealing with the concept of not being a good person--that his actions have hurt too many people (guilt) and that means he himself is an inferior human being (shame--toxic shame).

I don't disagree with the analysis, necessarily, and I find it's useful to consider here. I've often quipped that, being a Mormon, my superpower is being able to feel guilty, and that's likely true. But I probably have conflated guilt and shame. I certainly know that I have a tendency to mentally abuse myself when I have an enjoyable day (like I did today) at the expense of someone else's sacrifice (like my mother-in-law, who had to watch the boys because I was off enjoying the day with my wife).

In my church, because there's so much talk of service--its benefits, its godliness, its compunction for a card-carrying member--a lack of serving can shift from guilt (that someone was negatively affected because of my actions) into shame (I'm an unworthy person because of what I've done). Couple with the fact that worthiness is such a large section of Mormonic (not a word, but ought to be) doctrine, replete with interviews, confessionals, prayers (not rote nor assigned, but nathless expected), and--yes--service, it creates a feedback loop. I wrote recently about not wanting* to serve my school, and how I struggle to go beyond myself.  That sentiment could be repeated on the weekly as I go to assist with the Cub Scouts in my neighborhood.

The thing is, I keep bumping up against the past experiences of helping and personally benefiting from it (avoiding both guilt and shame) and warring with myself about my own selfish desires. It reminds me of Eek! The Cat, a '90s cartoon show that was probably way too violent and hence was taken off the air.

"Sure, it never hurts to help!" Then the pain begins. Source.
Every time Eek goes out of his way to help someone, he ends up getting hurt. That's the whole gag of the show: Teach kids, by painful example, that helping others and self-sacrifice will damage you. It's a rather Randian way of thinking about things, I guess. Anyway, maybe I internalized that lesson to some degree, because there are plenty of other times in my life when I helped someone out and I regretted it. While serving others can be a good panacea for the pain-wracked soul, it sometimes trickles out in other directions, too, and service isn't always a primrose path.

This is hard, because avoiding service leads to guilt and shame, and those are, according to Elder Bednar, pain-spasms of the soul. I guess I will have to learn how to better listen to these lessons and avoid what hurts.



----
* The experience ended up being very positive and I enjoyed the evening, to say nothing of being able to help. You know. Serve others.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both