Skip to main content

Service Wanted

I'm a teacher, so my job is to help my students to grow into healthy, happy, productive adults. It's not just my job, of course--parents, friends, family, and a slew of other educators will all contribute. The hope is that the kids become better, that, as a community, nation, and species, we improve and progress. The students I work with are a small piece of that.

One of the things that high school kids do is have dances. Some are big things--prom and homecoming. Others are casual "stomps" and fun little get togethers. I remember attending a number of them when I was younger m'self. They're a pleasant way to pass an evening, if you're into that sort of thing.

Now that I'm into my thirties, it's no longer my thing. Nevertheless, I was asked to chaperon a dance for my school and I said, mysteriously, yes. See, I usually avoid this sort of thing, mostly because I'm a selfish git, but also because I value my home time. Despite this tendency of mine, one of my goals this school year has to become more supportive of extracurricular things--to be a more consistent presence in the out-of-class-but-still-within-appropriate-boundaries sort of way.

I can't pretend that I'm very good at this, and that's somewhat mystifying. Shouldn't I want to help out? Shouldn't I believe, like, everyone who says that service is good and beneficial and helpful? I mean, I don't not believe the idea of service being a pathway of happiness. Yet I really do struggle to want to do anything for anyone outside of "office hours" (as it were) or if they're not within the walls of my home.

Take, for instance, the Mormon-man duty (or is it Mormon man-duty?*) of home teaching. This is where, once a month, members of the congregation go out and visit a couple of families in the neighborhood, bearing a brief message and generally talking people up. It's a great program, for the most part, because it helps create out-of-chapel relationships that are positive, as well as giving a sort of "required friendship" because there's a person who is obligated to get to know you. And, usually, once you get to know someone, you consider them as a friend.

I'm horrible at this. There was a time when I did it much--dare I say, religiously?--better, but the last couple of years I've slipped into an antipathy toward the program. Guilt is the primary motivator, but the only superpower depression gives you is the ability to absorb guilt and redirect it into apathy. It's like the mutant Bishop, but with sadness. Anyway, I know I can--and should--extend myself more, to get to know people better, to make friends, and to grow as a person.

But I just don't want to.

I know how petulant that sounds. And I'm sure most everyone gets to the point where asking to care about yet another thing finally pushes them toward where they want to withdraw from everything, yet they soldier on regardless. I'm not that type of person, though. As I mentioned before, I'm a selfish git and I prefer to go through my day, devoting the majority of my waking hours to my job and family, then relying on private time to recharge for another day of acting extroverted when I'm really an introvert.

Which puts me back at where I began: I have to go chaperon this dance, which I'm only doing because I care about the students and I was personally asked to help out. And I really hope that they have/had a wonderful evening and it was worth everyone's time and effort. I do.

I just wish it was service that I wanted to do. :(



---
* Punctuation is fun. I think there's a lot to explore with this arrangement, but I'ma walk away from it instead.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both