Skip to main content

Hire Thoughts

Since I was fifteen, I've planned on becoming a teacher. There are two things that I can remember, when gazing through the gauzy tunnel of memory, that put me rather firmly on this path: One was a teacher. This is likely unsurprising, as teachers qua inspirations and mentors is one of the greatest parts about the profession. I'll go ahead and name drop: It was Mrs. White, who taught me 10th grade Language Arts and put up with me and my two buddies, who made her life a living hell. Nevertheless, Mrs. White's English class was one of the largest contributors to putting me on a path of perennial classroom habitation.

The other is less profound: I realized that a writer would have a hard time raising a family because the pay was so sporadic.

But I can remember other times in my life when I felt tugging toward education as a career. I remember getting a dry erase marker--hopefully, it wasn't something that I purloined from somewhere--and I created a small 8.5" x 11" whiteboard in my bedroom. It was easy: I put a piece of blank paper inside of a clear plastic holder that I taped onto the headboard of my bed. I gathered up some of my stuffed animals and began teaching them a lesson about numbers and math. While I couldn't guess my age, the memory is clear enough that I remember thinking this was pretty fun...even though I didn't understand math particularly well.

I remember thinking, I'd like to be a teacher. But they just don't make any money. I'll be a Sunday School teacher instead, if I really want to be an instructor. There are a couple of things to unpack with this: One, how sad is it that a child--most likely still in elementary school or perhaps in seventh or eighth grade--would try to talk himself out of joining such an incredible profession because he recognized the financial deathtrap that is the field of education? And two, I think it's funny that I thought I could somehow pick my calling in church.* Now, obviously, this was when I was younger than high school, but it's obvious the stirrings were there from an early age.

Since Mrs. White's class, I realized that I really did want to be an English teacher, and I geared most of my high school (and all of my college) education to that end. One time, we had a "jobs fair" at the high school. Looking at the different offerings of potential jobs I could learn more about, I saw that there was "teacher" available. I went to a classroom I had never seen (my high school was big) and listened to a lady who was a teacher at the school that I had never met before (my big high school had a lot of faculty, unsurprisingly). She talked about a number of things about being a teacher, but all I remember was that she said she liked it when she didn't have to refer to her notes during a class. That blew my mind. Teachers use notes? I was shocked.

When I finally got my first job** as a teacher, I truly did feel as though I had arrived. I used notes (shock!) and I made (read: make) a lot of mistakes. But I've gained a lot of insight and experience. I feel satisfied with my life choices--made all the better because I share a profession with my wife.

But I have, for many years now, wondered if I ever would be hired by my school again, were I to be on the other side of the table. That is, I am now a department chair at my school, and so I have to sit in during potential hire interviews. They're stressful for me: The interviewee is nervous, I'm uncomfortable with the power I have, and it's an artificial environment in which we're supposed to divine the best choice for my department, school, and the student body as a whole. It's not a particularly wonderful experience. (I'm grateful I don't have to be on the other side of that, though: Firing someone is probably the worst part of being in charge of an establishment.)

So my imagination sometimes runs to the other interviews I've done. As a fresh-out-of-student-teaching greenhorn, I wonder what I said that made other principals pass me by. I wonder if the teacher I am now would be a valuable addition to other schools. If I wanted to try at a traditional public school, for example, would my less-conformist feelings about, say, grading make a drastic impact? Would that appeal to them? Would it drive them away? Would my experience be taken with reluctance because it was in a charter school? Would any of my accolades or recognitions be given additional weight?

Part of me is curious. I know my school values me for what I do and who I am, but I've also grown up with the school. There are fewer than six teachers still at the school who have been there as long as I have, and only a couple who have more time. Am I really a "good teacher" or am I just a fixture? A lot of the feedback I get points to the former rather than the latter, but, if that were to change, would I be able to let go? Would I be able to switch to the other side of the table?

I'm now over twice the age I was when I first decided to become an educator, and I don't know if I'm any closer to knowing--genuinely knowing--what it takes to be a good teacher.

For that, I'm still learning.


---
* In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, lay members handle the running of local congregations. The members are given assignments--callings--that they fulfill to keep the congregation (ward) from falling apart. The assignments aren't requests from the members; the leadership decides what's needed and asks for help. My naivete was the idea that I would somehow be in control of getting that specific calling.
** I feel like the story of how I eventually got to my current school deserves its own essay, written on another day.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both