Skip to main content

By My Books

I used to read a lot more than I do now, I think. Or, at least, I used to finish the books I got. When I was a kid, getting a new book was a fairly exciting prospect. There used to be a place called Media Play that would sell books, CDs, VHS (and, later, DVDs), movie posters, toys, and other '90s ephemera.

Man, look at the colors. They're almost as vibrant as the pants I wore back then. 
The closest Media Play to me was in south Orem, about fifteen minutes away, depending on the speed of my 1987 Chrysler LeBaron. But before I could drive, it was one of my primary destinations whenever I got my allowance. I remember the first time I saw a Spider-Man novel, a "Spectacular New Novel", according to the blurb at the top of the dust jacket. It was Spider-Man: The Venom Factor by Diane Duane.

I loved this book. According to this site, it was published in 1994.
I remember being shocked at the cover--it intrigued me (because it had Spider-Man on it), but I thought that Venom's face was...I don't know...bleeding, or something? At any rate, I was eleven and a half, so my sense of what made for good cover art pretty much consisted of having dragons or Spider-Man on it, so this book--tacky, clashing colors, nonsensical design notwithstanding--immediately grabbed me. But the thing was, this sucker was a hardback. A hardback! The sticker price was a whopping $19.95, not to mention the impossible to calculate tax on top of that. Okay, so maybe twenty bucks doesn't seem like a big deal, but there are a couple of salient points you ought to bear in mind: 1) It was 1994. According to this random website I found (that must be true because I'm too lazy to verify it), this book would cost me almost $32 nowadays. 2) I was eleven. What eleven year old could swing by a store, snag a thirty dollar book, and be like, "Meh. Nbd. It's Spider-Man, so it's worth it"? No eleven year old could do that, unless that kid's parents were as negligent in the teaching of hard work as they were rich.

Anyway, I saw this book and, as an added bonus, there was a trading card glued into a plastic holder on the inside of the cover. That was it, man. I was sold. How could I say no to a limited edition trading card? (When I got home with the book, I tried to peel the plastic holder out of the book, inadvertently bending the card horrendously and essentially ruining it before I even got it out of its packaging. My point: I was dumb.)

I'm almost positive this is what the card looked like, minus the book stuff outside of it. If you skipped the parenthetical stuff in the paragraph above, then this picture doesn't make sense and you've now wasted your time reading this sentence.
Everything about this book was exactly what I had always wanted a Spider-Man book to be. Firstly, I was intimidated by comic book stores, and though I wanted to read comics, I didn't know where to start. Additionally, buying one meant buying another, and my resources were limited. (For such reasons, refer to earlier paragraphs, or remember that I was eleven.) So seeing a book, which was self-contained (though there were hints that it was part of a trilogy!) but had some great interior illustrations (by Ron Lim) meant that I could get the continuity that I wanted without having to rush around, finding every issue in an arc.

I read the book in a matter of days, then promptly modeled all of my writing after Duane's. I traced the dimensions of Ron Lim's chapter illustrations for my own Spider-Man fanfic. I tried to write with as much attention to detail as Duane did. I reread this book not too long ago, and while it has its silly parts--and some poor editing--on the whole it's one of the better Spider-Man novels I've read. In a lot of ways, this book became the template for me as an early writer.

Since then, I've purchased an entire shelf worth of Spider-Man novelizations. They're not as popular as they once were, and my own interest (and increased buying power) has put me into the trades much more heavily. Nevertheless, The Venom Factor and the rest of its Spidey brethren sit nearby, leaving nostalgic webs as I glance over their worn spines. Indeed, they're closer to my writing desk than almost any other part of my collection (Shakespeare is closer to my reading chair). Major swaths of my childhood and early teenage years were enveloped in those now-fading pages, including family vacations, procrastinated homework, and deferred interactions with friends. I will likely never reread any of those books, yet they're one of the most foundational aspects of my writing life. In that sense, even though I've outgrown my Spider-Man obsession--not devotion, of course--I like to be by my books.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both