Skip to main content

Preaching What I Practice

In a clever and unexpected twist on an old classic, I inverted the concepts of the cliche "practice what you preach" and made it fun and exciting! Aren't you exceedingly diverted? I knew you would be.

One of the things about being a teacher that I didn't understand when I was a student was the idea that I sort of expected the teacher to have done what she was telling me to do. "Read this book" had an implied "because I have and it's worth it" to the command. Most of the time, I think that my teachers did what was asked of the students...to a certain extent. I don't think Mrs. White sat down and wrote out note cards for the ten-page research paper assignment back in tenth grade. And I know that Miss Bodily didn't make video summary of Othello at the end of that play for a project.

But one of the things that I've tried to do a little bit throughout the years is to create one of the projects that my students have to do, as it pertains to the historical unit/literature that we're reading. In essence, I practice the project so that I can talk more sensibly about what I'm hoping to see out of it.

I don't know if these are necessarily good projects. I made a drawing of Satan for our Paradise Lost project, and I went along with my students to do the yellow passport assignment of self-improvement that I attached to Les Miserables. So when it came to the end of Pride and Prejudice, I think they were a little disappointed that I hadn't made a project, too.

That surprised me. I didn't think that my students cared. In a lot of ways, I use these as excuses to become better at what I teach, rather than to impress the students or try to raise my cred. Or whatever. Like, I don't really know what they're after in terms of seeing my work. Is it because my artwork isn't at the same level as my writing? So they like to see that I'm still growing in other areas of my life? Or is it that I have injected so much of myself into what they're experiencing that it's strange when I'm not there, as it were? I don't know.

In my Shakespeare class, however, I am definitely stretching myself. I am not an actor. I've only been on stage a handful of times, and it was never with memorized lines or anything--though I've improvised plenty of comedy sketches or speeches. Nevertheless, the assignment for the third quarter is to become intimately competent and playful with a personally selected monologue. I picked one from Coriolanus, because that play is criminally underappreciated and I wanted to get some of it in me. I picked his speech from 3.3 where he is banished from Rome, mostly because of this moment from the Ralph Fiennes film version:

Mine's just like that but better.

Because it's a big assignment, we've been breaking the process into pieces. There was a misunderstanding by a lot of the students that they had to have the entire thing memorized and, essentially, ready to perform this Thursday and Friday. When I talked to my coteacher about what that would look like, he was surprised to realize what the kids were expecting. All he wanted was the words: The basic syllables in the correct order.

I decided, at the outset of the term, to participate with the students in this, so I have been working on memorizing the words. I've been at it for a couple of days, and so I let Mr. Hults check my verbiage as I opened up whatever I had memorized. It was painful and a little embarrassing--like every project, I daresay--but I "checked off" my performance with the teacher. I modeled what I wanted the students to do.

I don't know what the kids thought of my "performance". I'm worried how I'm going to take it to the next level and actually act, because I've never been much for that sort of thing, though I've always enjoyed those who could do it--especially those who do it well. So now I'm in this weird situation of having voluntarily put myself into the position of doing student work with the students. It's not a bad thing, of course--I love to learn and that's what a student is supposed to do--but I'm definitely out of my comfort zone.

I'm trying this with my writing classes, too. I wrote over 1,600 words today in my novel writing class for two reasons: 1) I didn't want any of the students to overtake my word count and, since I'm missing class tomorrow, I had to get ahead; and 2) I was within striking distance of checking off 10k words in my latest novel. That's the aggregate of about seven days' work, and I'm kind of proud of how much output I've been able to do, particularly with being sick this last week.

I can't tell if I'm humble bragging or trying to process why I'm making these choices. I want to improve as a person--I have long felt insufficient and incapable of becoming more than I am--and these are small steps. Writing daily essays is another instance of personal growth that has become both pleasurable and painful, giving me intellectual isometrics that I sometimes would rather not do.

But I do feel that I can better preach to my students when I'm standing on my own foundation of experience and practice. So maybe that's not too bad a thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both