Skip to main content

Different Class

One of the great things about Twitter is that you can find like-minded professionals who have wisdom and wit to share. I follow a chap, Doug Robertson, who wrote an article last September on his blog about having a student teacher and how he does things differently in his class. He teaches fifth grade, which is quite a bit different than my tenth grade stomping grounds. Teenagers require a different type of training than a bunch of barely-double-digits children, so that's to be expected. But there was this part of his essay that stood out to me:
Why are so many classrooms basically the same? I mean, I see conversations about taking risks all the time. I see costumes and bulletin boards and book studies about being different. But I don't see a lot of different. One more time, to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying, "why aren't more of you taking the legs off your desks"? I'm saying, "Do you think your room is different?" And is it important to you for your room to be different?
This came up in a department meeting lately, and I fumbled in trying to get at the grist of my question with my coworkers. Nevertheless, I want to explore the concept of what makes our classes different. See, we have students take tours of the school--usually timid almost-seventh graders or nervous almost-ninth or -tenth graders--and the thing that was recently brought to my attention is simple: There are no questions about what we do in the individual classes. You walk into a geography class, and all the desks are facing the same way, and there are (surprise!) maps on the wall. Walk into the German/Chinese class? Same story. The only question marks are, when you walk into my class, why there are posters of Spider-Man, dinosaurs, and Shakespeare in almost equal measure. But the desks are all facing the same way, with a clear understanding of what the students and teacher would do.

Considering what and how I teach, I think that makes sense. But I'm not like Doug: He points out that it's silly when teachers say things like, "I don't know why they are giving me a student teacher, I'm not doing anything special." He feels like he's a good teacher, and that works. I have no reason to doubt him, since I've never seen him teach. I only really see me teach; I'm the only one that I continuously observe. And unlike Doug, I am not at all certain I know what good teaching is--or, rather, that I can do whatever "good teaching" is.

It's likely part of my upbringing or my own, self-diagnosed mental illnesses, but I do not have a lot of confidence in what I do. In, like, any aspect of my life. I may appear confident, but I'm basically this picture all of the time.

Except my hair is brown. Source
So, getting back to the classroom, I don't believe that I'm doing things any differently than what I'm supposed to do, which is teach history and Language Arts and have a lot of conversations as we go. It's an incredibly teacher-centric class (stokes my ego, of course of course), and I actually dislike it when I have the kids working quietly on projects or something. I feel uneasy, as if I'm doing something wrong.

That's why Doug's comments made me think. Obviously, I don't need to be like The Weird Teacher--I need to be like me. But I don't know what the barometer works for how effective a class is. Do we look at short term successes? Are those reflected in grades (which are gross)? Long term successes? And what do those look like--financial, emotional, familial? And how can you trace past positive experiences toward present satisfaction? If I give a student a tool, it's up to her to refine her skill with it. So should I view myself as a "good teacher" because she improved her abilities with what I gave her? And if, through some alchemy, I could get an understanding of how I helped her, why would that indicate good teaching in me? Isn't actually good learning on her part?

If I could guarantee that, through some change of my pedagogy, my students would all feel equipped and empowered and more capable, I would definitely do it. I would give them a different class. But in lieu of that information...I don't know what else I should do.

So I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hope for their best while giving them mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both