Skip to main content

The Wars of the Roses

I may be off my mark, but there's a bit of a black mark on Shakespeare's treatment of the Wars of the Roses. For those unfamiliar with the phrase, it's a shorthand to describe a swath of medieval years in British history that was marked by dynastic struggles, loss of French lands, and civil war between the houses of York and Lancaster. For me, it's a period of time that I've only lightly studied, having taught a little about Joan of Arc, who features in 1 Henry VI. After that, it's much the same as ever happens to me: I learn the history well enough to understand the basics of the play.

Now, I've read all of Shakespeare's plays--though I admit that I read some more than others. And the Wars of the Roses are...less good than others. In some ways, even the bizarre and bloody Titus Andronicus and the bitter Timon of Athens are more enjoyable reads than the three parts of Henry VI. While I personally find Henry V more tiresome than inspirational (which puts my tastes at odds for most playgoers), very few look at the Henry VI plays and think, "Yeah, that's my bag." Taken as a whole, they almost function correctly as a story, but then become too long to process in that mode.

Enter The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses. A few years back, the BBC put together The Hollow Crown, a tetralogy of Richard II, 1 Henry IV, 2 Henry IV, and Henry V. Due to Tom Hiddleston's role as Prince Hal/Henry V, the series had a large cachet to cash in on. This helped to elevate the series, along with the idea of, for the Henry plays at least, maintaining the same actors in their roles. This provided a continuity that helped keep the story grounded--though, to be honest, I liked Richard II the most of the entire set. Indeed, were it not for Falstaff, I would infinitely prefer Richard II from basically all the history plays.

This "sequel" to the first Hollow Crown (a phrase taken from the plays) is interesting. It takes the three Henry VI plays and conflates them into two, then gives Benedict Cumberbatch freedom to chew the scenery as Richard III in the play of the same name. With the death of Richard in that play, the Wars of the Roses come to a close and, save a late, late play about Henry VIII, ends Shakespeare's interest in English history.

I've finally found the time to watch the condensed version of the first part of Henry VI, so I decided to give a quick hot-take on it before diving in for the next round. (Essentially, I needed to make sure I got my daily writing done, and this is large in my mind.) I'll be brief, however, as I'd prefer to take a longer look at the entire sequence once I've invested the requisite 360 minutes to watch all of the productions.

The cut was what stood out to me. To compress three plays into two, you have to make fairly large sacrifices. The most noticeable for me was the extraction of Joan d'Pucelle, who provides a pivotal role in what Tina Packer considers, for lack of a better phrase, his high school project. "I have gotten the idea that Shakespeare began Henry VI Part I while he was still in school. It is stuffed full of fights and the dialogue between the men is all bombast and pontificating, very little actual human interaction--that only happens when the women appear" (Women of Will 9). I don't know if I agree with her there, but it's true that the first part is...hard. Some of Shakespeare is easy enough to read--in large part because the characters are so strongly drawn that, unless for deliberate effect (like with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern), the characters' desires, flaws, and, well, characteristics are unique and decipherable. With the plotting, intrigue, and switching of sides, it's difficult to keep who is in which camp, so the stage is the better experience of these plays than the page.

So why focus on the cut? Well, to put all of that intrigue together requires excising swaths of the subplots, which in 1 Henry VI basically revolves around Joan. In the film, she gets the short shrift--is a one-note character who doesn't try to manipulate her way out of her fate, which she definitely tries in the play. The less-than-subtle sexism poured over her in the play is missing, which from a personal stand point is not a loss, but from a lens for looking at attitudes and behaviors of the time, is a loss. But it would distract from the larger story they're telling, which focuses on the intrigue of the court, intermingled with some straightforward fight scenes and a close-ups-of-the-faces-only sex scene.

The final shot of the first film, however, is fabulous and made me smile like a villain.

At any rate, I'm back to the wars.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both