Skip to main content

In A Fiction

What do we hope to gain out of the fiction that we read?

My friend today shared some of her students' feelings about Pride and Prejudice. What surprised her was that, despite how much they enjoyed learning about the Regency era and all of the fine points from a book of manners, few of them wanted to read another Jane Austen book, preferring their "fantasy, action books" instead. As a writer and consumer of many of those "fantasy, action books", I decided not to take umbrage at the implied inferiority of my adoptive genre. But it raises the question with which I started this essay: What is our purpose in reading?

Stan Lee, creator of Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four and basically the largest corrupter of American understanding of what radiation actually does to human beings, had this interesting insight that he once shared in his Bullpen--a random collection of fan mail, thoughts, and comments from Marvel writers and readers:

I love that sign off. Excelsior!
While the literary and philosophical merits of comics are beyond what I'm exploring here (perhaps another time), Lee's comments here emphasize my point: There's an assumption about what reading [fill in the blank] is "supposed" to do, built upon genre conventions, economic pressures, and traditions within publishing. Sometimes people whine when comics "take themselves too seriously" and aren't "escapist" enough--others whine when comics are too frivolous and don't take themselves seriously enough. Aside from the realization that you can't please everybody, I feel that this is a way of becoming fictionally ossified.

When I ask what we hope to gain from reading, I'm not satisfied with axiomatic responses: "To learn about good and evil!" "To learn about Truth!" "To understand other points of view!" None of these is wrong, necessarily, but neither do I see the answer. Look, good and evil, transcendental truths, and other points of view exist outside of fiction. We don't have to go to made up stories when those real experiences could be just as instructive. I don't have to rely on Maniac Magee to teach me about the ills of racism; I could read Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s writings instead. I don't have to rely on The Lord of the Rings to learn that those of least apparent consequence can often be what best stands up to totalitarianism and dictatorships; I could study the life of Gandhi. So these lessons are in the makeup of our history, the memetic inheritance we are born into. We don't have to have these transcendental aspects of our humanity dramatized and fictionalized...do we?

Maybe that's why we love stories, though. It's softer than history's rough edges. We can't shut the book on the Trail of Tears and say, "That makes me uncomfortable. I'm not going to finish reading it." The terror of Jackson's administration was real--still is real. But if it's a story? If it's simply Dances With Wolves that's on TV? We can turn it off, shut the book. The pain of American exceptionalism needn't be unfolded on real, living people. It can be a story. It can be "fake" and its hurtful pieces pushed aside.

But we've all read something that makes us recognize something better about life and the human condition, something that we better understood because of fiction. The Harry Potter series has done this for millions of people, so much so that studies have shown a correlation between those who've internalized the messages of the series and increases of empathy. My life has been inexpressibly enriched by my reading of Shakespeare*; a coworker, the writings of Homer; a student, the thoughts of Cicero; another, the book Things Fall Apart.

Our fiction obviously does something to us that reality doesn't do--or perhaps, we aren't willing to let happen to us. I'm not sure. Nevertheless, there's something that fiction can do, maybe even better than reality. I won't argue that there's no difference between qualities of fiction, of course. I think that's fairly obvious. I do wonder, however, what we are aiming to get when we pick up some book or other--and what that says about us.


---
* The title of this essay comes from Hamlet.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both