Skip to main content

Experiment

Despite the fact that my teacher-sense was tingling, I went ahead with a bit of an experiment today. The details aren't really what matters--the kids in one class will try an alternative assignment while the other class will go through my standard set up. Instead, it's the idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with my classes.

Last year was a bit of an existential crisis for me in terms of how I teach. (I had already gone through the "Is this what I really want to do with my life?" existential crisis some years before. Thanks, Class of 2014.) I didn't feel like anything was working right, I didn't feel as though my choices, questions, conversations, or techniques were worthwhile. I decided against changing everything, instead trying to streamline what I've done in the past to try to make it more engaging--trimming, consolidating, and tweaking where I felt I could.

In an attempt to remain flexible to student desires, I let the classes decide how to approach the Scientific Revolution. There isn't a lot of wiggle room, but I was willing to give it a go if they were. The first section of my class voted about 10 to 8 (with a handful of kids abstaining) to try the new direction. The other class voted 18 to 6 to stick with the original idea.

I enjoyed my second section significantly more. Part of that was because I was much more involved in traditional teaching--up front, facilitating a discussion, analyzing text, and imparting information. But I don't know what the outcome will be with the first class--they're working independently and will show me their results tomorrow.

Here's the thing that has me conflicted: When I got this job, I told the interviewers that I wasn't interested in being a vending machine of knowledge, one that simply spits things out for students to take away. Yet I wanted the students, lo these nine years after that interview, to vote for the standard stand-and-deliver format. I did this in part because I was bored--we had just done a similar activity--and in part because I wanted to feel validated. I wonder if I've become the vending machine after all.

The other part of the feelings of conflict is that I don't have a clear idea of what I want from them. When there isn't clarity of the goal, everyone ends up frustrated. After all, they do their best, and if it isn't what I'm looking for, they don't see how they could have divined the preferred end.

The last piece is like this moment from Finding Nemo.


I don't know how to be comfortable with letting go. I try to run a pretty tight ship (I think, anyway), and it's worrisome to relinquish that discipline and let the students work on their own. My own children are under this burden, too, though they don't know it. How can you let go of the only safety you feel you have? While I know these aren't new questions in the history of the world, they're new to me. They're questions I've never grappled with before, and the whole process is making me tired.

Maybe I need to be like another Disney movie and let it go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both