Skip to main content

The Death of Me

I've been thinking a lot about death this life, and I still don't understand it. Not the physiology of it (though my understanding of how the human body works is rudimentary and fractured) or the psychology of those who survive it (for a little bit of time, anyway). Those are fairly clear. For many, death invokes what Shakespeare wrote in King John. In Constance's words:
Grief fills the room up of my absent child,
Lies in his bed, walks up and down with me,
Puts on his pretty looks, repeats his words,
Remembers me of all his gracious parts,
Stuffs out his vacant garments with his form;
Then, have I reason to be fond of grief?
Fare you well: had you such a loss as I,
I could give better comfort than you do.
I will not keep this form upon my head,
When there is such disorder in my wit.
O Lord! my boy, my Arthur, my fair son!
My life, my joy, my food, my all the world!
My widow-comfort, and my sorrows' cure!
 It isn't mourning that I'm writing about this morning, it's more a befuddlement at death itself. In a not-so-unique observation, I recognize that life is built on a foundation of death, one which life is destined to become through the singular expectation of time. I still believe the meaning of life is, in part, tucked into Hamlet's four words: "The readiness is all," that being prepared for the permanent departure is what we have with the time allotted. But death weighs on me, despite being far from it.

I think about it when I eat food--because, regardless of your vegetarian/vegan/carnivorous/omnivorous diet, the death of something else is the continuation of your life. I think about it when I'm alone. I fear what I will do when it visits my home, who it will claim first, and dread the regret I know I will have when I have to close a lid on someone I love. I think about it as I teach of atrocities, when I try to remind students of the validity and brevity of life, all the while trying to practice what I preach and teach in positivity--defining a thing by what it is, not what it is not. I find opposites useful in undermining rather than defining, where up is up because it up, not because it isn't down, and I recognize the failure my language has even in defining my definitions in the negative space.

I wonder at the idea of tangible immortality, rather than the promises afar off from ancient texts cleped holy. Do we value human life because we know it won't remain? If immortality is a possibility--divinely or digitally--then do we cease to care about the human, in much the way surfeit leads to uninterest? Could we step from here to forever and still be who we are? Do I want an infinity without who I am--and does that include the negatives? Am I composed entirely of positive claims, of things that I am rather than things I am not? Does erasing my flaws in some sort of perfection mean I've erased some of me? Or are those imperfections made perfect create the real me? If I'm not real now, how will I be real later? Is the death of me not the death of my body but the death of what I have known to be me? Is that what a resurrection is? Or are flaws beauty-like and only skin deep?

I am beginning to taste the bitterness of death on the back of my tongue and I feel it creep into the veins of my thoughts. The more I learn, the less I know, and I'm coming to understand that I know nothing in the vast glory of living. And I don't know if I can love the glory of the world if it is constructed on the bones of our inevitable silence.

I don't know if I have any choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both