Skip to main content

The Bard vs. The Prophet-Bard

I'm starting my annual discussion of Paradise Lost tomorrow, and it has me pretty excited. In my mind, Shakespeare rules supreme, but his heir-apparent is John Milton. Less well known than his dramatic almost-contemporary (Milton was eight when Shakespeare died, and I've yet to see any evidence that the future prophet-bard of England ever met the Soul of the Age), John Milton has still been immensely influential in English Letters. John Rodgers argues that Milton is in the dead center of the canon, while Harold Bloom puts Milton firmly (and unequivocally) in second place, preeminent save Shakespeare.

I agree with both, and my preference for one over the other is a matter of what I'm reading/teaching at the moment. This year, I'm reading Twelfth Night at the same time as teaching Paradise Lost, so there's some dissonance in my mind. Of course, there's no reason why I have to pick a favorite. I'ma be like this little girl and refuse to choose:


If pressed, I would err on the side of Shakespeare for a few reasons: One, his shadow is larger. Much like Freud* in the field of psychoanalysis, Shakespeare is the writer in English. Everyone since his time has been responding to--or against--him. There's no getting around the Bard. I have a hashtag that I use on Twitter (#shakespeareiseverywhere) that I use whenever an article, quote, or allusion to Shakespeare crops up. It has hundreds of tweets, most of them from me, some from my friends who're aware of it. And I'm not particularly good at identifying Shakespearean shout outs, either. Could you imagine how much could be done by someone who had a clue what she was doing?

My second point for Shax is his breadth. This is linked to his ubiquity, as there are 836,000 words that he's written, and almost all of them are incredible (though Titus Andronicus and Pericles are both a bit of a mess). Milton may have written more words (I couldn't find an answer in my twenty second Google search), but they aren't all particularly good. Some of them are old polemics on topics we no longer care about. His prose writing is expansive--much like his mind--but they lack the consistent power of Shakespeare's.

The third reason why Shakespeare is superior (to me in my little corner of the world) is based upon masterworks. Harold Bloom claims the big five tragedies to be Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello, King Lear, and Antony and Cleopatra (the last one exclusively because of Cleopatra), along with As You Like it, Twelfth Night, and another one that slips my mind as pristine comedies. Bloom argues that a good dozen or so of Shakespeare's plays would constitute masterpieces, and I'm inclined to agree. While Antony and Cleopatra doesn't quiver my quill, Coriolanus and Richard II are mind-shakingly good, and I've yet to see a version of Comedy of Errors that doesn't make me laugh myself into stitches (a Shakespearean quote). There are masterpieces within masterpieces, and some masterpieces within otherwise dross (A Midsummer Night's Dream comes to mind with Bottom and the mechanicals being the diamonds in the rough, but that could be simple overexposure rather than the quality of the play....but I don't think so).

Milton, on the other hand? Paradise Lost is sublime, and some of Milton's sonnets are the most powerful in the language. But there's not as much there. The endless variety and invention of Shakespeare isn't found in Milton. His poetry thunders with passion, power, control, and precision--in a way that Shakespeare's never does--but Milton is not universal** the way Shakespeare is. Everyone will see an aspect of themselves if they study enough Shakespeare--a phrase, a thought, a character. In that sense, Shakespeare is genuinely ubiquitous and imperial and many other things at once. Milton, however, is Milton, filled with a pious fire that sings to certain souls but not others. He is less concerned with exploring the possibilities of man and more the specifics of God, which, with a theme so different, is bound to strike fewer targets.

In the final analysis, I am enamored of both and am excited to be able to study Milton again. I indulge myself at this time of year, giving myself permission to read and write and think on Milton much more deeply than the students would likely wish. But that's all one: If they don't like my passion, they can seek another class.

Actually, they can't, because transferring classes at this time of the year is discouraged. lol.
---
* I pick Freud in this example deliberately, because he, too, is inescapable. If you wish to engage in some metacognition, you will be relying on something Freudian. Some people become so influential in their field that, for better or worse, they can't be ignored.
** Some people argue that Shax isn't universal, that there are people in the bush who don't resonate with his stories. To dissect that is the work of another day, but suffice to say I don't think that's true. Some people don't know themselves well enough to see their reflection in his writing; others look in the common places, not knowing that it's in his lesser-viewed works that they'll see themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both