Skip to main content

Voting Ethics

I have received my ballot in the mail. I haven't, much to my shame, put in the time to vote quite yet. I should get that done tomorrow, and have it in the mail by Monday. That should be enough time to get it back before 8 November. The advantage of that is it will give me an opportunity to think about some of the down ballot issues that haven't been getting enough press.

While discussing the presidential race with a friend, however, he pointed out that he had decided to vote for Evan McMullin, the low-polling third party. Since I already sounded off on third parties (and I still think they're a bad idea, especially since there's no party loyalty on which they can rely when it comes to the actual governing of the country), I don't want to reiterate anything else on the topic. Instead, I want to consider my friend's comment about voting for the person he thought would be best, rather than the one who would most likely win.

That's kept me thinking since our conversation ended. It isn't that I'm now considering third parties: I'm thinking about what I ought to do ethically. As a deeply convinced deontologist--where I believe the actions of a person are what ought to be considered via categorical imperatives--my friend's argument should be the best one for me selecting anyone other than Trump (who, I think I made clear is a distressing result of GOP co-opting of conservative values built around a fundamentally nasty* core).

On one level, my moral philosophy doesn't enter the picture. While I admire my friend for sticking with his principles, I find that a fraught thing (again, as I discussed in a different post) when it comes to politics. The principle of universality within Kantian ethics doesn't apply to personal opinions. I mean, that's one of the reasons why it's so useful for a philosophy: It isn't concerned with your preference in ice cream or if you're an anti-Stratfordian. It looks at choices in a universal context, and I don't think that the political race of 2016--or, indeed, casting a ballot--fits into that catholic** equation.

On another level, though, there is a hard part about being a deontologist (as opposed to the more common consequentialist or utilitarian): There's no exception to the morality. Carving out cases that don't apply to the rules--when it's obvious that the rules should apply--doesn't fly. Lying violates categorical imperatives. So how can I support any politician who is obviously lying? Does the politician's lies matter to me, or do I accept blame by electing*** someone who lies? And because all of them do lie--therefore, they're all immoral--then do I choose the one who lies the least? But if I'm compromising there, why not embrace other aspects of a candidate that I would rather see in office and find someone who, despite failures on her/his part, would do the job well?

I don't really know how to square this circle, but I do know that I'm less troubled by the election than a lot of my friends and coworkers. Perhaps there's a pragmatic side to me that is getting more attention than usual. Maybe it's the fact that I know that my vote will be against the majority of Utahns, so it's symbolic anyway.

Maybe it's because I know I'm not voting for my ethics--for who else has them but me, and I can't vote for myself?--and instead for a position of power that ought not to be bestowed upon someone who hasn't, through a history of involvement with the government to be run, demonstrated competency in that area.

So what am I voting for, then?


---
* Lol. Nasty.
** Purposefully not capitalized. I like having variety in my writing, but sometimes I mean a less-familiar definition.
*** Not that my vote necessarily elected the winner. I know there are some arguments for keeping the electoral college, but...seriously. At the very least, we should get rid of the winner-take-all approach almost all states utilize.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both