Skip to main content

Disparate Things

Cooking

In the perpetual, possible pointless process of self-improvement, I decided--around the beginning of the summer--that I would take cooking lessons from a friend. They're kind of sporadic--we both have full schedules--but it has been really fun to learn about the kitchen. I learned about proper knife-holding skills, how to mince garlic (which I love) and other herbs, as well as looking for other ways of prepping meals.

Since it's definitely a hobby, with no expectations (aside my own) for success, I have been feeling my way forward. I want to be interested in the cooking, which is selfish, since my wife doesn't get to have the luxury when dinner time comes around. But, at the same time, I feel like, since I'm paying for lessons, I ought to be able to cook well immediately. That idea is ludicrous, but it's still what goes through my mind.

Today, with a fairly sleepless night and a lot of sewing work ahead of her, my wife wasn't really up for making dinner. I decided to try something new--experimenting on the basics I'd learned. I had a backup in case it all went to ash (some leftovers from last night), and set about finding and modifying recipes for ingredients we had in the house.

Despite some roughness with getting the chicken cooked, I was pleased with the dinner. It was very garlicy (yum), but, more importantly, it was a result of interest, learned and learning skills, and an opportunity. Since I've cooked a handful of times with success--no food poisoning or ignited kitchens--I'm feeling more confident moving forward. I'm hopeful that I can get to the point where it doesn't take me an hour to prep and cook the meal, but I'm far from being competent in the kitchen.

As far as myself goes, I feel like I have improved. It's incremental, but noticeable. Since so much of my life is either same-old, same-old (as recycled years of teaching and parenting can feel), it's a nice change of pace. I know my wife appreciates it, and since my boys won't eat much besides air and good intentions, I really only have an audience of one.

NaNoWriMo

I have, since starting to produce writing on a daily basis, tried to avoid journal/diary-style writing and giving sketches of what I hope to accomplish--or any context, really, of what I'm doing here. The idea is to write an essay a day, the topic being whatever interests me. I've done literature, meta-cognition, education, writing advice, theology, and personal reflections. Now, I'm finally breaking down and "making an announcement" of sorts: I aim to suspend my blogging for the month of November.

NaNoWriMo is an annual tradition of writers across the world (though it started off as "national") who aim to write 1,667 words a day for the month of November. The idea is that, by slogging through with that much writing, we'll have enough words (50k) to constitute an actual novel.

Now, I know my output potential: With nothing else on my plate, I could get that goal in less than a week. But the whole point of the exercise is to weave the writing into your daily routine, sacrificing the non-essential things in order to get the word count. I haven't checked, but my gut tells me that my blog posts here are about 800 words every time, some more, some fewer. Because I've carved out the time to write a blog post a day--and have, almost without fail, since the end of August--I'm going to try NaNoWriMo again this year.

Because I'm counting that as my daily writing, I won't be posting stuff here as frequently. If big things happen (I'll probably write my thoughts about the election, for instance), I'll likely throw a few words here. Otherwise, though, my fingers on the keyboard will be to pursue things unattempted yet in my prose or time.

Until then, I'll be working at my steady goal--a self-improvement of writing. So I guess these disparate things aren't really so disparate after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both