Skip to main content

Connected

I don't know all of the details, and I also am making some assumptions on his life based upon poetry (always a risky proposition), but it seems as though slam poet Shane Koyczan lost his mother due to illness, lived with his grandparents,* and has said goodbye to too many people he knew.

But assuming his poetry is autobiographical, I think it's fair to say that he's had a pretty rough life. Yet his stories are filled with hope, his words with wisdom, and his warm voice with a fatigued but familiar friendliness that holds me when I'm lonely and no one else's arms are nearby to shrug into. And it got me thinking about the marvel of what it is to be so connected, and how much I owe to two Canadian grandparents, one from pre-war Austria, who did their best to raise a young man with a darkness in his soul that he wished to exorcise. Their hard work to raise Shane has, indirectly, led to the life of a guy in Utah Valley being improved, helped, and brightened. Thanks to the internet, I learned of some poetry that I could never have experienced otherwise. Because of their love for their grandson, I am a better person.

That's amazing.

You see, Koyczan's poetry helps me overcome my depression, not by trying to make it right, but by redirecting it into permissiveness. I don't agree with the argument that "Somebody has it worse than you, so cheer up," because then I feel badly that someone else is unhappy, and that's not cool. So Shane's stories don't make me happier in a comparative sense. Instead, they help me to know that sadness is part of who I am--he shows me this by example.

If you watched all the linked videos above, not only did you just spend nearly an hour listening to some amazing poetry, but you'll also get a sense of what I'm talking about (I hope). And I think there's a lot to be said about the idea that it's okay to be sad. I mean no disrespect to President Nelson, but his last talk at the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints didn't make me feel particularly joyful or happy. Few things do, and almost all that do involve iambic pentameter or a rhyme scheme, so I don't really hold him responsible for not addressing me specifically. I think what I'm most often looking for is one area in which I don't have to feel guilty about how I'm feeling--not that it's all going to be okay, but that it's okay that I am who I am, even though that can be hard.

Though I have to wonder why an atheist Canadian does more to help my heart than the leader of my Church. Maybe if President Nelson dropped some rhymes at the mic come April...

---
* So you know, some of his poetry has strong language, as well as swearing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both