Skip to main content

Observed

Today I was making weird sound effects in class, trying to make the kids laugh. They sounded like wet farts, basically, because I'm thirty-three and a college graduate, so, yeah, I should be paid to make wet fart sounds, by gum. One of the students said, around his laughter, that it was a good thing the school's observation team (that's coming this Wednesday) wasn't here today.

After school, a coworker, worried about the difficulties of teaching a Socratic Seminar course, confessed that some few students were complaining about how her class was different to mine (as she teaches one grade above me).

I thought of what I had been doing in my class as she asked if she could come observe. I told her she's always welcome, since I figure if I'm willing to say (or do) anything in front of students, I should be willing to say (or do) the same in front of fellow teachers or administration. And if she'd been there today? Well, I still would've made the gross sound effects.

But it has me thinking about what we hope to get out of an observation. It's not quite the (usually misapplied) Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle at (misapplied) work here that I'm talking about, though in some ways that's true. An observed teacher behaves differently than an unobserved teacher, in part because there's always the idea of how a peer will respond to what's happening in the classroom. Instead, I wonder what my coworker hopes to see.

There are a lot of things that I would love to do differently as a teacher. One is to shut up more frequently. I get too excited about what we're talking about and I want to dominate the conversation. Whatever the best ratio for student-to-teacher speaking, I don't got it.

I also wish that I had more variety in my classes. Not between classes--they usually go about the same--but rather that we did a greater variety of things with our time. I beat my head against what I want out of the classes and what I can get from them. This means that what my friend will see when(ever) she observes my class is, in some ways, what I've settled on.

In all of this, I'm not trying to brag. (Though this is my personal blog, so technically I could...I think. I haven't read the fine print on what allows me to write on this site.) I'm not trying to give the impression that I teacher better--or worse--than I really do. And while I know that, for some students at least, I have made a lasting difference in their lives, I am hard pressed to point to any one thing that I think has made that difference. Maybe it was one piece of literature, one conversation, or one well-timed question that mattered--but more often than not, I daresay that it is the slow accumulation of experiences, filtered through a common experience, interwoven with a lot of humor, and the aggregation of empathy that leads kids to think fondly of my class. And despite all my efforts, kids still don't turn in their work for me, don't give me their best effort, or sleep through the period. So what is my friend hoping to get from observing me?

And if she figures it out, will knowing "what works" make me better or worse at teaching?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both