Skip to main content

Theaters and the Age

About 2,400 years ago, a chap dismissed writing as being, at best, an unworthy successor to speech, and at worst a tool for reminding that gives people the feeling of being wise without distilling wisdom. While Socrates has a point--discussing writing, what is written, and why it was written are worthwhile aspects of my pedagogy and the way in which people live and learn--I think, in this case, Socrates underestimated the purpose, point, and power* of writing.

There are a lot of lessons to learn from Socrates' points--which is why he's still popular, still quoted, still discussed, still taught--but the takeaway from me is actually one of a cautionary tale. For Socrates--an illiterate--the concept of reading and writing was insufficient. In many ways, the latest technology had no immediate purpose to Socrates, and as a result, he insisted its flaws outweighed its benefits.

Today I saw a TED talk about audience being held captive by the darkness. Part of Mr. Cohen's comments included a point that, for thousands of years--almost as long as since Socrates was last kicking up trouble--people have dealt with "ambient attention" of an audience, the idea that actors have had to compete with distractions in order to tell their dramatic story. I don't disagree that this was the case, though there seems to be some dismissing of history here. Ancient Greek plays happened during the day, for the most part, but the sun and its lighting were often necessary for how they were telling the story--in other words, deliberate lighting as a technique is an old aspect of the craft.

Anyway, Cohen's point is that it's preferable for actors to be in house lighting, using cues from the audience on how to adapt their playing. Modern theaters that manipulate attention by dimming, changing, and modifying the lights, he argues, are doing a disservice to the actors, who will give superior performances if they can judge reactions.

As a non-actor, I can't speak to that point. As a teacher--whose job involves theatricality, timing, pacing, and wordplay--I can see what he means. I do a better job as a teacher when I can see my audience, and I can provide a better lesson when I can see my students' faces.

However, the counterpart to Cohen's observations is that, to reclaim the possibilities of these ostensibly superior performances, we must turn the lights back on. Indeed, much like Socrates (though without the same cachet), Cohen's argument relies upon the effect of technology that is but dimly seen**. The advent of electric lights--and, as he observes in his talk, cinema--changed the possibilities of the stage. To this technological overlord we now owe obeisance and these are the shackles he wishes us to remove.

But I don't think that's the case. Experimentation is the lifeblood of theater (or so I'm told), and advances have always been around. Going from open fields to acoustically-beneficial amphitheaters was a departure from dramatic tradition. Putting actors on an elevated platform and allowing the million to mill about them was a departure from dramatic tradition. Even the Black Friars was the technological equivalent to 3-D theaters for Shakespeare's time: His play, The Tempest, contains special effects unseen in the rest of Shakespeare, done to take advantage of the Black Friars Theater in London. (James Shapiro explores this in his book The Year of Lear.) Some of the effects included specific lighting that only an indoor space could take advantage of. Advances in makeup, costuming, safety, and other aspects of stagecraft have been the theme of theater for millennia.

Additionally, there's much to be said about accommodating modern sensibilities. Shakespeare wrote for the nonce; so did Tennessee Williams and Euripides. The fact that a lit theater will allow for private conversations, distracted texting, sleeping, catching up with friends, and other distractions are major detriments that Cohen chooses to view as strengths. But as I was watching his video, the students in the class were seated, lights on, and were involved in their own experiences. Indeed, we made an important announcement before the showing of the film--during which time the class was, indeed, distracted. At the end, when the announcement was repeated, a section of the class burst out in disbelief and excitement at it--they obviously hadn't paid attention. This "ambient attention" that Cohen discusses as being a part of theater throughout the ages is focusing on the bugs, not the features, of the past.

In the end, we lose something and we gain something by flowing with technological changes. Some things are lost; some are changed. Despite Socrates' arguments, I'm glad that what he wrote was preserved. Without writing, Shakespeare would be lost to us. Actors may have to adapt to lights, but the audience will be justified in requesting the obnoxious teenager on row 3 stop chatting with her friend during the performance. That's the age we live in.

---
* The irony, of course, is that we only know what Socrates felt about writing because Plato, his student, wrote it down.
** Pun intended. Yup, I put a footnote to tell you I was writing a pun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both