Skip to main content

Fictional Science

For many years, I resisted the urge to write science fiction. I've been a fantasy person for a really long time. While I took a sabbatical from it during my middle school days, I have been a fantasy reader for about as long as I can remember. Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern was a formative series: I started reading it in elementary school. An argument can be made that the Pern series is firmly science fiction/fantasy (genetically modified dragons on a planet colonized by interstellar human beings that fly around on teleporting, fire-breathing animals), much of the stories take place in the fantastical world of Pern, rather than the other quadrants of McCaffery's shared universe.

I'd even go so far as to say the first fantasy that I remember reading was The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander, which I began with Mr. Soto in the 6th grade. I read all of those books (feeling as though Taran Wanderer was a bit unfocused and that The High King deserved its Newberry Medal) feverishly. I would submit that Brian Jacques' formulaic but fun Redwall series carries with it a fair helping of fantasy, if only because it's filled with talking animals, and I read at least a dozen of those books during my elementary and middle school years.

In a lot of ways, I simply lived in fantasy worlds. My tastes have remained fairly consistent, even meaning that the young adult book I wrote a couple years ago was focused on urban- and otherworldly fantasy, despite me doing a lot of research and work into the experiences of people of color to try to make my main character, a teenage black girl, feel more authentic.

I like dragons, I guess you could say.

So when I started out the Taralys series (which is the closest I've come to having a sequel to any of my books, lightly discussed here), I was distressed to realize that I would have to do something I had never done before: Write science fiction.

This shouldn't be too big of a deal, since science fiction is so broad, diverse*, and possibility-filled
that whatever I try to do, it should work. The problem is, I have a tendency to want to write things right. It's not full-blown researcher's (or, in my case, world builder's) disease, where the background work interferes with the real-life writing. But it is an issue when I am conceptualizing the story I'm trying to tell. I want the worlds to feel realized, vibrant, and full, and one of the ways of doing that is to give it a consistency and internal logic that fits together well.

With fantasy, I can tweak the magic systems as necessary. "Why do they need color to do their abilities?" I wave my hand: "Magic!" Easy. Things are different in this new world.

But with Conduits, I have to try to make something that looks right from our understanding of the world and bend it to the needs of the story. This isn't easy for me, and I'm pretty sure I didn't do it well. I ended up with a story that has some scientific ideas--hypotheses, really--and spun forward into a type of fictional science that really is the same as my hand-waving, "Magic!" response, save I'm talking about the "dual properties of light".

Well, that's okay. Provided the story is good, it shouldn't matter too much if I get wrong some details of quantum mechanics, right?

Right?


---
* We can pretend that the debacle that is the Hugos Awards doesn't reflect on science fiction as a whole, right?

Comments

mimihalley said…
My one complaint when reading science fiction is when the author goes into detail explaining why the fake technology works. I always think "this isn't real! You made up this science! Why are you still explaining it??" So I guess regardless of whether I'm reading fantasy or science fiction, a wave of magic is all I need to be satisfied. Stop explaining imaginary science and get back to the story, folks!!

Now that I've complained, I will confess that I don't feel that way with every science fiction novel I've read. Some authors include their science explanations seamlessly with the plot. Others make me want to skip pages.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both